From:
Ronald Correia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 1995 21:29:55 -0500
   Thanks to all who have responded with plans to attend the Hockey-L dinner
in Providence.  As of this evening, our number stands at 82!  This promises
to be quite a gathering of hockey fanatics...

Here are the details:

Location:  The dinner will be held at The Players Corner Pub (149 Washington
Street) in Providence.  The Pub is about a block and a half from the Civic
Center.  We have reserved the party room and, thanks to the tremendous
response this week, we now have the room all to ourselves.

Time:  The Pub is expecting us immediately following the first game.  With a
1:00 PM start, we will probably be heading over between 4 and 4:30.  The
party room is ours until we choose to leave for the second semi-final.  The
Players Corner Pub will be open until 2:00 AM should anyone choose to return
later in the evening.

Menu:  We will have a buffet style menu.  Items on the buffet include a mixed
green salad, vegetable platter with peppercorn dip, honey mustard chicken
fingers, buffalo wings with blue cheese, beef teriyaki, ziti and meatballs.
 We will have a cash bar in the party room.

Price:  The Players Corner Pub is charging us $12.00 per person for the
buffet and sole use of the party room.  This price includes gratuity.

Directions to the Pub:  You can see the Pub's green awnings from the front
steps of the Civic Center.  Cross the street in front of the Civic Center,
walk through the small plaza there, cross the next street and walk one block
to Washington Street. The Players Corner Pub is on the corner of Washington
Street. When you enter the Pub, identify yourself as a member of Hockey-L and
come downstairs to the party room.  We will have a table setup at the door
where you can pay for the buffet and pick up a nametag.

Other details:  I'm supposed to be sitting in SEC 122 Row GG Seat 1.  Since
this is only two rows behind the bench, the chances of my staying there are
pretty slim.  (For some reason, I'd like to SEE the two games...)  At the end
of the second period, I would like to gather in the hall behind section 115.
 We can go over any last minute details if necessary and you may pay for the
dinner at that time if you choose.  The Pub is supplying us with tickets for
that purpose and suggested it as a means of alleviating congestion near the
party room.  I will be wearing a black HOCKEY-L sweatshirt.  Note:  If you do
not attend the first semi-final, simply head over to the Players Corner Pub
between 4 and 4:30.  I'll be there as soon as the game ends.

In addition to our dinner, the Players Corner Pub will have a full menu
available.  They will also have sandwich buffet tables setup upstairs and
(weather permitting) outside.  We are, of course, welcome to use these
facilities but they are not included in our price.

Mayor Cianci of Providence has authorized the restaurants and pubs downtown
to setup booths outside during the tournement. Beer and wine will be
permitted on the streets in front of each establishment provided it is in a
plastic or paper container.  This was done for the championships several
years ago without problems, so the city is willing to try it again.

There is still time for anyone who has not yet responded to the dinner.  We
can add significant numbers as late as Wednesday and can accomodate a handful
of last minute entries on Thursday.  If you wish to attend, please contact me
as soon as you know -- even if that's Thursday afternoon!  The Pub has
remained very flexible on that, since they realise that many people were
waiting to see the brackets before committing to an eastern trip.

I hope the menu and price are agreeable to everyone.  I tried to keep the
price as low as possible while providing several items that people will
enjoy.  The Players Corner Pub is one of the premier restaurants downtown and
we had to work within a structure that they had already devised for functions
such as ours.  I hope you enjoy the tournement, your visit to Providence, and
the Hockey-L Dinner.  If there's any other information you would like
regarding either the dinner, the tourney, or Providence in general, please
don't hesitate to ask.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in Providence...

-- Ron