From:
Dean Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 1995 23:40:41 -0500
Tonight's game saw the Falcons of Bowling Green step up and take control of
their destiny as they beat the Ferris State Bulldogs 3-1.  Tonight's win gives
the Falcons 2nd place in the CCHA and (perhaps even more importantly) leaves
them on a winning roll into the playoffs.

BG was to score first on a rebound down close center by Dave Faulkner (the kid
looks hot this weekend - work ethic like he showed this weekend tells me he may
move up a line for the playoffs).

BG saw its second goal in the 2nd period when Mike Johnson connects with Kelly
Perrault's pass down ice and sends a one-timer on the left side sailing in.

BG's third goal came in the 3rd period from Chad Ackerman from the left point
(unassisted).  Chad is looking really sharp also (Shall I mention to
those people who didn't think he was doing his job on defense that he was the
CCHA Defensive Player of the Week last week).

Will Clarke, in net for BG, came within 1 shot of his first shutout on senior
recognition night.  Ferris State, however, ended that possibility with a shot
from Derek Crimin (which actually went across the crease and went in off of
Falcon defenseman Brandon Carper).  Ferris and BG both used their timeouts
(Ferris at 6:49 and BG at 1:12), and the Bulldogs played most of the last 2
minutes with Jeff Blashill on the bench in favor of the extra man, but nothing
changes the score, or the result.

Look for BG to host (my guess) UAF next weekend in the playoffs.

Scoring
1st Period
BG      Faulkner / Punchard / Crombeen          2:29
2nd Period
BG      Johnson / Perrault                      9:28  4/4
3rd Period
BG      Ackerman (Unassisted)                   1:30
FSU     Crimin / Hunt                           3:52

Penalties
1st Period
BG      Clark           Roughing                6:39  4/4
FSU     Mitchell        "                       "
BG      Fair            Checking from Behind    10:57
BG      Fair            Hooking                 14:19
BG      Fry             Boarding                15:02  5/3
FSU     Blake           Slashing                19:55
2nd Period
BG      Bench (served by Kelman) Too Many Men   7:47
FSU     Kolenda         Tripping                9:08  4/4
3rd Period
BG      Carper          High Sticking           7:48
FSU     Roach           Hooking                 9:30  4/4
BG      Johnson         Checking from Behind    11:00  4/4

Saves:  BG (Clarke)     12      9       6       Total 27
        FSU (Blashill)  8       13      6       Total 27

Power Play:     BG  0/3      FSU  0/6

Referee:  Shegos     Linesmen:  Cline, Pouliot

Attendance:  4,523

3 Stars:  3 - Blashill (FSU),  2 - Clarke (BG), 1 - Faulkner (BG)

Tonight was senior night for the Falcons, and the following were honored:

#7 - Brandon Carper - Defenseman
#18 - Kevin Lune - Center
#19 - Brian Holzinger - Center
#22 - Tom Glantz - Wing
#29 - Will Clarke - Goalie

These guys have been excellent players and their careers at BG have been
greatly enjoyed by this Falcon Hockey Fan.  I'm glad they could finish out
their college hockey days with the kind of season we've had (and continue to
have).

- Dean Bell

BGSU Falcon Hockey Is Back Where It Belongs

Brian Holzinger for Hobey Baker