From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 15:33:39 -0500
On HOCKEY-L, we have talked about the sometimes nebulous practice of
awarding assists.  I noticed last night that our local paper is
running a weekly column on high school hockey complete with stats of
area teams and players.

This is from memory.  This week's column includes a discussion on
assists including a note about a player for Haverhill (Mass.) HS, Adam
Hackett, who had 10 assists in one game a couple of weeks ago.  While
Hackett's assists were said to be legitimate, reference is made to a
recent tourney in which a certain team had two assists awarded on
every goal (and they scored a lot of goals).  I believe the writer
either said he was at the game or hinted that he was there, and he
basically questioned the way the assists were awarded.

In response, the coach said something like, "I know those kids were
out on the ice, and I'm sure they had to have been involved in the
play somehow."

Needless to say, I thought this was one of the most ridiculous things
I have heard.  I am going to have to dig up the quote and put it up on
my wall or something. :-)