From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 14:47:36 -0500
 Lee-nerd ([log in to unmask]) writes:

>And what the heck is up with UNH? They are tied for second in >Hockey East,
despite the fact that they are playing all their >games with no real "home".
Very impressive; in fact more >impressive to me that >>(than?)>>
Northeastern, who seems to >be struggling. UNH seems to have quietly come on
strong. >Offense and defense looks real good, and a 10-3-2 overall >record is
very impressive.

I have only seen the Wildcats in person three times this year, most recently
last Wednesday's win over Harvard at Bright :-), and won't see them again
until Friday 1/6/95 @BU, but my observations are thus:
This is a veteran team with a terrific group of seniors (Flinton, Poole,
Royal, Schmidtke, Russell, and Heinke) who are showing some leadership in a
difficult situation.  (Coach Umile was quoted in the 12/8 Boston Globe as
saying that he feels playing on the road all year has made his team tougher.)
 Scoring has come from all four lines and the defense, which is why you don't
see any Wilcats in the top five in HE scoring.  The  underclassmen are a
solid group, and I am particularly impressed with the play of juniors Mike
Sullivan (whom I've always liked), Brian Muir and Steve Pleau.
The defense has been helped immeasurably by the addition of Todd Hall, a
transfer from BC.  He is big, skates well, and has an excellent shot from the
point on the power play.  Coach Umile seems to be moving toward bigger, more
mobile defensemen who can stand the opposition up at the blue line without
compromising the UNH skating game.  I am also impressed with the freshmen,
particularly Mark Mowers, last week's HE Rookie of the Week :-) who looked
great against Harvard last Wednesday.  He's an excellent two-way player who
works very hard. Goalies Heinke and Cavicchi have been steady and,
occasionally, spectacular. I think they will continue to alternate all year.
 The team has gotten contributions from players like Corey Cash, Scott
Robison, and Joey Moran when called upon to fill in for injuries to starters.

And this team can skate!  I can't wait to see them in an Olympic-sized arena
in "95!

I believe this team will be in the HE and NC$$ hunt all year.

Karen Ambrose, UNH '72
Go Blue!

P.S. Great news that UNH will be in the Mariucci in 1995!