From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 01:03:53 EST
Tony Buffa writes:
>Boston U. 5, Maine 5, tie (Boston wins 2-1 in a shootout)
>
>Shouldn't the word "tie" be left out of this type of listing.  Yes, I know
>that according to the NCAA it is a tie, according to HE it is a SOW, but
>this is score reporting.... just say BU 5, Maine 5 (BU wins shootout), no?

Well, if a game ends up tied, it should be noted with "ot" since even
in HE, the game is considered a tie in the standings.  I don't think
"tie" is a problem, especially if AP is also using this for other
(non-HE) games, although it seems pretty obvious that a 5-5 or 2-2
game is a tie.

Basically, in HE, the game result and the shootout result are two
different things.  The game above ended in a 5-5 ot tie, then BU won
the shootout (for the extra point).

It seems to me that HE schools have been reporting the scores pretty
regularly in the correct format.  If there is any confusion, it could
be on the part of whoever is compiling the scores for AP.