From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 1994 12:37:35 -0500
Just to add a few comments to Walts comments on the MTU sweep of NMU
last bight.
  We made the drive down to lakeview following the local lake linden-hubbell
lakes football win inthe first round of the state playoffs, but still
managed to arrive an hour early.  We went directly to the arena and
talked with a few NMU fans that were in houghton the night before.
The talk was unanamous that due to Chick "5 on three" Yackle and
his partner, that there was absolutly no flow to the game.  some
lines skated together only once or twice during entire periods.

  Well that didn't change tonight, But it was so inconsistant that
the players didn't seem to know how to play the game.  the first period
they basically let them play for a while, calling a few penalties,
the second, they called a lot of penalties on the same teams, resulting
on 5-3's for both sides,  The third period they settled into calling
coincidental minors all over the place, until the 5-5 brawl broke
out.  Teckh was then penalized 3 more times before the double roughing
minors were over.  This is the first time in my life that I have
ever seen all ten players get double roughing minors at the same time.
and with penalties a few minutes later, the first time I have ever
seen 13 players in the boxes at once.  I thought they were gonna need
vasolene and a crow bar to pop a guy out when his penalty ended! ;-)

And we Won the game 6-2, you can imagine what the NMU fans were saying
about the refs! ;-)

The NMU fans I was sitting with were commenting that it was going to be a
long season.  At one point at the beginning of the 3rd period i heard
"this game is over, they arn't capable of scoring on tech"  Hang in their
NMU fans, we know what its like to go thru a slump! ;-)

One of the best things about the game was 3 of our freshmen got their first
goals of their careers last night.  Talking to Andre Savage after the game,
I told him if he had to pick a place to do it, Lake view arena in a 6-2
win was the perfect place, as far as us fans were concerned! ;-)

Wisconsin comes into The MacInnes Student Ice Arena next weekend.

GO Huskies!
We're NUMBER TEN!  (now famous chant from the MTU defeat of NMU in the WCHA
playoffs last season! ;-)

Bob