From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 1994 01:00:46 -0400
Charlie Shub writes:
>> From: Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>>>4-2-e         Coincidental minor penalties revised:
>>>              When ONE minor penalty is assessed to ONE player of EACH team
>>>              at the same stoppage of play, these penalties will be served
>>>              without substitution provided thre are no other penalties in
>>>              effect and visible on the clock.
>>
>> Okay.  Let me get this straight, as this is a big one.
>>
>> When a coincidental minor occurs, and there is/are...
>> *no other penalties, the teams play 4-on-4.
>> *one person in the box, the teams still play 5-on-4.
>> *one person from each team in the box, the teams still play 4-on-4.
>
>yes

The key here is whether there are penalties on the board.  This
affects the three situations Jim outlined.

Consider the following:
* At 10:00, A1 goes off for hooking.  5x4.
* At 10:30, A2 & B2 go off for coincidentals.  Since there was a
penalty on the board, substitution is allowed and the new penalties do
not go on the board.  Still 5x4.
* At 12:00, A1 comes out.  5x5.
* At 12:15, A3 & B3 go off for coincidentals.  A2 & B2 are still in
the box, but their penalties are not on the board.  So A3 & B3 go on
the board, no substitution is allowed, and it is 4x4.

If A1's penalty had never occurred, or if TeamB had scored before
10:30, then A2 & B2 would have gone on the board and no substitution
would be allowed.  Then when A3 & B3 went off, penalties would still
have been on the board and there would be substitution allowed for
A3 & B3.

>> When two coincidental minors occur, and there's no one in the box,
>> the teams play 3-on-3.  But if there is someone in the box, the
>> numbers stay intact.>
> nope because we asssed ONE minor to TWO players of EACH team so it
>should be still 5 on 5
>
>and of course coincidental double minors would leave 5 on 5 on the ice

I understand Charlie to be correct here.  To have 3x3, we'd have to
have something like coincidentals followed by a penalty to one team
and then a penalty to the other.

>> (Of course, when I say "in the box," that doesn't include misconducts.)

Right, since misconducts don't go on the board.

Now, how about this:
* At 10:00, A1 & B1 are whistled for coincidentals and then A1 commits
a major penalty as the players are being led to the box.

The rules state that when a player from one team receives a major and
a minor at the same time, the major shall be served first.  But
substitution would NOT be allowed for the minors - the rule does not
say anything about whether additional majors or misconducts are
involved, only minors.  So it would be 4x4 for 2:00, then B1 would
come out and TeamB would have a 3:00 unlimited 5x4 (presuming no other
penalties).  Then after the 3:00 5x4, Team B would have an additional
2:00 power play and A1 would sit until either 17:00 or if TeamB scored
between 15:00 and 17:00.

At least, that is how I interpret it...
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>