From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 1994 14:15:56 CDT
Don't mean to make this "roller-hockey-l", BUT...
Chris Lerch listed the pre-season "Protected" and "Drafted" lists from the
Roller Hockey International teams.  The final rosters consist of 14 players, as
the game is played with only 1 defenseman and 3 forwards.  The Star-Tribune last
week listed the Minnesota entry (the Arctic Blast - I like it!) roster along
with some info.

To give you an idea: they play at the Target Center in Mpls, and tickets are
$6.50, $9.50, and $12.50, all for seats in the lower level of the arena.  I
don't know the rules, but there is either no offsides, or a much more relaxed
version of the rule.  They play 4 periods.  Minnesota's first game was Monday
night and they beat the Atlanta Fire Ants (another fun name!) 23-3, so it's
obviously a rather wide-open game.

And here's the roster, with the one Chris posted appended for comparison:

Player              High School*              College**

Forwards

John Hanson         Rosemount                 NDSU
Tim Hanus           Minnetonka                SCSU
Jim Hau             St. Paul Johnson          Wis.-R.F.
Cory Laylin         St. Cloud Apollo          Minnesota
Jay Moore           Edina                     Denver
Noel Rahn           Edina                     SCSU
Dave Shute          Richfield
John Young          South St. Paul            Mich. Tech.

Defensemen

Rob Andringa        Madison Mem. (Wis)        Wisconsin
John Fuhr           Irondale                  Bemidji St.
Larry Olimb         Warroad                   Minnesota
Randy Skarda        St. Thomas Acad.          Minnesota

Goaltenders

Bill Pye            Canton (Mich.)            Northern Michigan
Jeff Woolsey        Mpls. Southwest

Taxi Squad

Greg Hagen          Hill-Murray               SCSU
Thane Vennix        Bloomington Kennedy       Augsburg
Bryan Brandt        Bloomington Jefferson     Colorado

* All HS's are Minnesota, unless noted otherwise.
**  NDSU is North Dakota State University (a club team)
    SCSU is St. Cloud State University
    Wis.-R.F. is Wisconsin-River Falls

> Minnesota Arctic Blast
> ----------------------
>
> Coach: Dennis Maruk
>
> Protected List:
>
> Brian Brandt  John Fuhr    John Hanson    Tim Hanus
> Todd Hartje   Jim Hau      Reed Larson    Bob Mason
> Jay Moore     Lary Olimb   Bill Pye       Noel Rahn
> Ron Saatzer   Dave Shute   Brett Strot
>
> Drafted List:
>
> Randy Skarda     John Young      John Blue      Dan O'Shea
> Mark Osiecki     Ken Gernander   Brett Hauer    Jeff Stolp
> Dave Snuggerud   Richie Zemlak   Jason Miller   Cory Laylin
> Sandy Smith      Lance Pitlick   Jim Johannson

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]      1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
                                  1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour!!!
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!