From:
Chris Paine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Paine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 1994 20:03:05 EDT
   Frank managed to survive the season with Roanoke as far as I know.  I saw
him in Raleigh in November and gave him the traditional MSU fans' cheer: "Hey,
Frankie, STAND UP!!!"  Actually, he finished well enough with the expansion
Express to make the playoffs, I believe.  Not too shabby for someone who got
canned in Newmarket (back when they were in the AHL-- now they've lost their
OHL team and are teamless, I suppose).  And don't forget he used to coach
Nashville in the ECHL after Newmarket, and I think he got canned there as well.
   I agree that his attitude cost him the Laker job, but I'm not so sure he's
as well-loved in the Soo as James has said.  This is the guy who refused to
recruit players from Sault High, which isn't exactly the way to endear yourself
to locals.  (Scott Smith of Sault High went on to have a decent career at NMU
because Anzalone wouldn't take him.)  My wife (a former resident of Sault Ste.
Marie) still has the front page from the Sault Evening News the day he was
fired (which came as a big shock to us in East Lansing).
   I almost miss the guy, considering I couldn't stand him, but now I can root
for the same team that my in-laws do (which I couldn't if Frank were still
standing on the bench).  All in all, I think college hockey is better off with-
out him, but if he can stay on good terms with management, he might work him-
self into an NHL job in a few years.  Guys like him can make a pro team better,
at least for the short term-- just look at the "old" Mike Keenan.
   Of course, as far as Anzalone stories go, there's always the one I heard
about his first road trip as Laker coach.  Seems that he came up to a hotel
desk clerk and tried to check in the team.  The clerk, seeing Anzalone (a short
young coach) and the Lakers trainer (an older man), told Anzalone that he, as
the student manager, couldn't check in, and told him to get the coach over to
do the paperwork.  Needless to say, Anzalone never used that hotel again.

--Chris Paine,
still bowing to Cecil