From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 1994 09:56:35 CDT
Assuming Kent Hockey is in fact discontinued, what does this
 mean for the CCHA, UAF, etc.?

Kent's troubles on (and apparently off) the ice this season came
as a surprise to me. Based on the returning young talent, I had
 KSU pegged for an upper-division CCHA finish; Scott Shaw among
 the CCHA's top 4 goalies, with Buzak, Lisko and Lacher and Shields
 folding (sorry John H ; )   ) I still don't know all the details
regarding player mutinies, etc., but anyway... (yes, gory details
 would be appreciated...)

Kent leaving the CCHA would leave the conference with 10 full members
 and UAF. If the CCHA were to add UAF at this time, the league could
revise the playoff format, adopting the WCHA's Final Five system.
Transportation is still the big hangup here...Big Rapids and the Soo
aren't exactly airline hubs (yes, I know SSM has an airport, but I also
 know the Lakers had to bus to Traverse City en route to Fairbanks
two years ago).

If UAF gives up on the CCHA or vice versa, the CCHA should probably
 revert to the old "top 8" playoff system. Come to think of it...the
CCHA should go back to this, regardless of whether UAF get in full-
time. After CC's elimination in the WCHA's and the Maine-HEA lawsuit
debacle, I'm not sold on the notion of every team making it.

Other opinions/ideas/info?

Greg Sorenson
BU '92
(I would've stayed through the award ceremony...
unless I was on deadline)

"Hockey is a slippery game, played on ice."
        --Jack Parker