From:
Norman Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norman Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 1994 16:36:56 -0500
Sorry, for those who weren't aware of the situation, in the closing minutes
(seconds) of a 5-5 game, N'Eastern took a shot which broke through Lacher &
trickled toward the goal line.  Lacher looked behind him, saw the moving puck
& frantically scrambled to prevent the puck from crossing the line.  He reached
down with his glove & scooped the puck away from the net.  However, the camera
angle I saw showed pretty clearly the ENTIRE puck crossing the line.  The
goal judge said no goal.  I guess the refs weren't in a position to contradict
him.  The game went into OT & Lake State scored 15 seconds later & won it.

The Huskies were understandably a tad infuriated with the goal judge, the ref,
the hockey gods on the mountain, etc.

Oh, by the way, the phrase (seconds) above should say (seconds?), as I'm not
sure if it was under 5 minutes to go or under 2 - anyway, it was pretty late
in the game.

Norm, who hopes the Terriers win it all to make the whole matter irrelevant