From:
Ken Kretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 09:26:11 EST
Some thought on recent Hockey-L traffic.

1. Paul Kariya has a new fan. My 7 year-old daugher is a mighty Mighty Ducks
   fan. During the Gold Medal shoot out, I pointed out Paul and told her
   that he had been offered a job with the Ducks. BTW if Paul does sign with
   the Ducks, will we see him riding down Main Street USA? Unlike some other
   silver medalist Olympian I can think of, I hope Paul knows what the little
   red light on the video camera means.

2. Yes, I found the shoot out exciting. No, I don't want to see it used in
   "money" games. I like overtime, although I don't think ties are shameful,
   but it we have to determine a winner, how about this. Why don't we have
   the teams run a set of 3 on 2 breakouts until one team has a two goal
   advantage?

3. An abreviated guide to Hockey-L sociology.

   Type         Characteristic phrase.
   -------      ----------------------------------
   Woofers      "My team rules, your team drools"
   Whiners      "We wuz robbed!!"
   Hoovers      "Your team sucks!!"

   I agree with Wayne that postings from woofers, whiners, and hoovers are
   usually self-parodying, and don't need any public replies.

4. We've all heard about Maine's returning Olympians. In fact, I'm begining to
   think that the Ferarro's are siamese twins. (It's funny to see them refered
   to as a unit, the same way as the Hanson Brothers in "Slap Shot")
   but don't some other teams also have some returning players? I seem to recall   that BU and Michigan State had lost some talent to the Olympics.

5. Regarding Maine's recent troubles, let the NCAA make its ruling, assign
   whatever forfiets are called for, and seed Maine according to its new
   record. First, I'm not comfortable with making up new rules on the fly.
   Let the by-laws work, and if they are un-fair, let the HE AD's work on them
   over the summer, where they can take their time. Second, Maine may be
   seeded 8th and face BU in the first round, but BU is not be as bad off as one
   might think. BU will play Maine before Maine can gets its Olympians into
   shape, and before Maine can build some momentum by beating up one of the
   middle-seeded HE teams. And if I were Maine, I would perfer to have some
   first-round experience before facing the top-seeded team. Overall, dropping
   Maine to 8th is not as unfair as some are claiming.

6. My appologies to the Hockey-L spelling Tsar.

7. Look-out for Minnesota and BC this post-season!!

Ken Kretsch             | Fill your bowl to the brim, and it will spill. Keep
MT 2B-329               | sharpening your knike, and it will blunt. Chase after
(908)957-2892           | money and security, and your heart will never
(908)957-4428 FAX       | unclench. Care about other people's approval, and you
[log in to unmask]        | will be their prisoner. Do your work, then step
BU '79                  | back. The only path to serenity. - Tao Te Ching