From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 1994 11:56:15 -0500
>The Boston Globe reports today that RPI is seriously considering a move from
>ECAC to the much superior Hockey East.  That would put 10 teams in HE.

Here's the text of the Globe article.  Most of it is not new, but it
is the first time I have seen quotes from people involved.  They've
kept quiet till now.

RPI MAY BE LEAVING ECAC TO JOIN HOCKEY EAST by Bob Monahan
   Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has expressed an interest in leaving
the ECAC and joining Hockey East.
   RPI has put together a blue-ribbon committee to explore the
possibility.  Should the committee favor a move, a formal application
would be made to Hockey East.
   Merrimack athletic director Bob DeGregorio, the Hockey East
commissioner, said, "RPI would be a great addition.  That would give
us 10 teams and that would be pretty nice.  But I can't speak for the
league.  I'm interested in RPI, but it would be up to our directors as
a group."
   RPI athletic director Robert F. Ducatte said, "We are taking a look
at it.  [RPI president R. Byron Pipes] feels we should take a look at
all our options and see what happens."
END

In a separate article, Monahan says that the HE AD conference call is
scheduled for 3 pm Friday, and a decision on Maine could be made then.
Also, Paul Kariya is still "on the fence" about returning to Maine or
signing with Anaheim, according to Shawn Walsh.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (14-18-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>