From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 15:13:42 -0500
>Others receiving votes:  Clarkson, Brown, Miami, Maine, Alaska-
>Fairbanks, Bowling Green                         ^^^^^

I really find this amazing.  This means that HOCKEY-L people voted
Maine the 19th best team in the country.  19th!

I did not vote this week, but if I did, I would have put Maine in my top
10, let alone top 15.  I could not believe that four other HE teams
came in ahead of Maine and all four made the top 15.  Hmm...and they
are also the #1-4 teams in the HE standings!  Are HOCKEY-L poll
voters really any better than the media?

I am not going to repeat my full case for Maine since I already gave some
comments on them a couple of days ago.  I'll just point out that they
are 4-1-3 in their last 8...2-1-3 in that stretch in 6 games against teams
that poll voters ranked ahead of Maine with 4 of those 6 on the road.
And this is without the Ferraros and Kariya.  Without those three, Maine
is possibly the 2nd best team in the league right now.  With them, they
are perhaps the best and a possible top 5 team nationally.  19th?!?  Wow.

I am sure Maine people would have been happy if I hadn't drawn
attention to them, but I have to tell it like it is. :-)  Sorry folks,
your cover is blown.  I've watched 5 of their last 8 games, 3 on tv
and 2 live...this team is playing some GOOD hockey.  Much better than
the beginning of the season when they were still getting top 10 votes,
even.

I seem to recall, first Steve Twombly posted about how well Maine is
playing back when Maine tied Lowell twice.  Then Maine shut out BU at
home (shut out!), something that hasn't happened in at least 10 years,
and I think Tony said to watch out for them.  These guys were not just
whistling Dixie...and now Maine adds the Ferraros...look out.  You
have been warned.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (14-18-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>