Sender:
From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 1994 13:37:25 EST
I hope a few of you caught this score before voting in the HOCKEY-L poll.
UMass-Lowell was truly dominant over a Brown team with a very good record.
I'm tempted to go on with an advertisement for UML votes, but I'll resist.
This time.

Anyways, the Chiefs helped their nationally-ranked specialty teams stats
with four powerplay goals and a shorthanded goal, while also killing all
their penalties until giving up one in the closing minutes after a mistake
by freshman goalie Craig Lindsay.

First Period
------------
Although this period would finish with only a 15-12 shots on goal advantage
for Lowell, the Chiefs totally dominated the first period leading to a 6-0
lead.  I would have to believe that after the first two or three minutes
almost all serious scoring chances were for UML and that most of the time
was spent in the neutral zone and in Brown's defensive end.  Although Brown
DID make mistakes in their own end, many of these were forced by a Lowell
team that seemed one step faster than the Brown Bears.

(Time's listed are time remaining in the period)

1-0     16:16   Bazin (Hebert)
        Brown makes a mistake in its own end.  Hebert steals.  Bazin scores
        from five feet in front.

2-0     15:45   Daw (Angus)
        Daw makes a terrific deflection in front of an Angus shot from the
        right point.

PENALTY 13:29   Brown: Mulhern (interference)

3-0     12:52 PPG  Hebert (Murray, Henry)
        Shane Henry gets the puck from Gretzky's Office to Mike Murray who is
        set up to the right of the net ten feet out.  Murray is tied up and
        can't control it, so he kicks it across to Hebert who is directly in
        front of the net and Hebert puts it home.

PENALTY 8:04  Mass-Lowell: Ed Campbell (interference)
PENALTY 6:43  Brown: Kelly Jones (slashing)

4-0     5:30 PPG Bullock (Henry)
        Bullock scores on an eight foot backhand from the right side.

5-0     4:57    Salzman (Mayes, Mahoney)

        Brown replaces Finch in net with Parsons.

6-0     3:50    Murray (Tucker, Bullock)
        Bullock flies up the left side on a 3-on-2.  He gets it to Tucker who
        gets it to Murray who scores.

PENALTY 0:10  Mass-Lowell: Botto (interference)

Second Period
-------------
A more defensive period.  Bullock is not playing now.  Riga is taking his
spot on the line with Shane Henry and Mike Murray.

PENALTY 15:14 Brown: Jardine (tripping)
PENALTY 10:56 ?? (interference)

7-0     5:50    Riga (Murray, Henry)
        Murray makes a deft stickhandling move and gets a good shot off from
        about 15 feet out.  Riga either deflects the shot or tips in the
        rebound.  (Play was at the far end and I'd actually thought that it
        was Murray's goal.)  Riga pinches himself, wondering if he's really
        just dreaming about playing on a line with Murray and Henry.

PENALTY 4:28 Brown: Traggio (hick-sticking)
PENALTY 4:12 Brown: Shaughnessy (slashing)

8-0     3:40 PPG Angus (Henry, Murray)
        Shane Henry, on the right point on the 5-on-3 powerplay, gets the puck
        across to Kerry Angus at the top of the left circle.  Angus puts a
        slapshot past Parsons on the short side.

Third Period
------------
Lindsey now in net for UML.  Bullock isn't even on the bench (he may not have
been on the bench in the second either.)  Mike Machnik has reported it as a
shoulder injury that may be minimal enough for him to play in this weekend's
home-and-home with Boston College.

PENALTY ~19:19 Lowell: Daw
PENALTY 18:23 Lowell: Sbrocca (interference)
PENALTY 13:41 Lowell: Henry (holding)

9-0     13:20 SH  Bazin (Kriss, Tucker)
        Kriss shoots slapshot from the blue line, rebound goes to Bazin who
        scores on a 15 footer.

PENALTY 11:32 Brown: Traggio (roughing)
PENALTY 11:32 Lowell: Henry (interference)
PENALTY 8:18 Brown: Fabbro  (roughing - mugged Sbrocca)

10-0    ?;?? PPG Campbell (Mayes, Brown)
        This was a soft goal unless there was some screen that I didn't detect
        at my angle.  Shot was along the ice from the left boards around the
        faceoff circle.

PENALTY 4:47 Lowell: Hebert (tripping)

10-1    3:11 PPG Mulhern (Noble?)
        UML loses its shutout when Lindsey comes out of the net, falls down as
        the puck goes out front, and Mulhern has a huge net to shoot at.
        Originally listed as unassisted, but then an assist was added to Noble,
        I believe.

Shots on goal for the period 11-10, Lowell.

Total shots on goal for the game 41-32, Lowell, thereby proving the Shots are
one of the LEAST reliable stats in the game.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*