Sender:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 1994 12:34:21 EST
From:   NAME: Paul Quale
        FUNC: Health & Sport Sciences
        TEL:                                  <QUALE@A1@OUVAX>
To:     MX%"[log in to unmask]"@OUVAX@MRGATE@OUVAX

From the Ohio University Post:

Headline: OU takes top division spot
1/26/94
Michael Pound, POST sportswriter

Finally- the standings match the performances.
        After last weeks games in the CSCHL, the OU hockey team has reached
first place in the league's Eastern Division.

        The Bobcats have also solidified their #1 ranking in the ACHA poll.  In
the latest poll, released Monday, OU was a unanimous choice as the top club
hockey team in the country.

        "Our goals all along have been to make both the league and national
tournaments, and to play the best hockey we're capable of playing," said OU
coach Craig McCarthy. "Barring anything amazing happening, it looks like we'll
accomplish the first goal - we just have to make sure we accomplish the second."
        After last weeks wins against Marquette(score:18-0) and
 Wisc.-Whitewater, the Bobcats took over first place in the East with 26 points.
OU is followed by EMU(23), Illinois(22), Mich-Dearborn(17) and Toledo(6)
        In the ACHA poll, OU kept its #1 spot.  The Bobcats are followed by
Arizona, Penn State, NDSU, EMU, Illinois, Iowa State, UMich Dearborn,
 Whitewater and Towson State.

        The difference in the CSCHL standings has been in the number of league
games OU has played.  During Fall Quarter, the Bobcats floundered in the Eastern
Division standings, despite just one loss.

        Since then, OU has played four league opponents-Mich Dearborn, Illinois,
Marquette and Whitewater-and the points are starting to add up.  With six wins
against those opponents, OU gained 20 points in the league standings.
        McCarthy said because of OU's remaining schedule-which includes four
different league opponents-the Bobcats could make an even bigger jump in the
standings.

        "We still have 20 points we can get," McCarthy said. "I don't think
there are any other teams in the league with half that many left."

CSCHL

Eastern Division

Ohio University         9 -1 -0  26
Eastern Michigan        9 -6 -1  23
Illinois                12-6 -0  22
Mich-Dearborn           7 -6 -1  17
Toledo                  3 -11-0   6

Western Division

Iowa State              11- 2-0  36
Wisc-Whitewater         11- 7-0  22
Minnesota                4-10-0  12
Purdue                   2- 9-1  6
Marquette                1-11-1  6

Paul Quale       Gustavus '92    Ohio University '95