Sender:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 1994 13:29:52 EST
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
Sorry if a few of these comments are a little outdated, but I have
not been around a computer for a while and am just now catching up.

Walsh's suspension/Mariucci Classic:  As was pointed out, Walsh's
suspension was imposed by the school, not the NC$$.  Further, the
school all but lifted the suspension after the death of Justin
Tomberlin's mother the night before the tournament.  At Justin's
request Walsh was allowed to address the team prior to the game.

All-Hockey East Team/Performances of the Decade:The 1987 BC team
no doubt played incredible hockey under less than perfectconditions,
but, they failed to do the one thing that Maine's 42-1-2 team did
accomplish: A National Title.  I admit I don't remember much about
the 1987 hockey season because hockey was the farthest thing from
my mind after my injury (while playing hockey no less), but after
watching the team all last year, I can't imagine a more dominating,
smothering team, in all aspects.  Maine had the best goal scorers, best
Power Play Teams, Penalty Kill, Defensive players and of course
probably the best goalie tandem college hockey has ever seen.
The team featured Hobey Baker winner Paul Kariya, Finalist Jim Montgomery
the nation's leading goal scorer, Cal Ingraham, The Ferraro Twins
Matt Martin, Chris Imes and Dan Murphy on defense and Dunham and Snow
between the pipes.  Maine maintained a power play that clicked more than
30% of the time throughout the season, but more impressively, I think,
the Bears scored more SHG than they allowed PPG in the first half of the
season...even with only 4 skaters on the ice they still put the puck in
net more often then their opponents who had 5 on the ice...thats
amazing.  Another factor for UMaine was the way they won.  They had a lot
of blow outs, but they also found a way to win the the close ones (well,
all but 3 of the close ones).  Obviously, as a member of last year's
team I am *slightly* biased, but I do know that the team we had last
year was undoubtedly the best team I have ever seen.

The All Hockey East Players of the Decade:  This will be very difficult
to pick, because as Mike points out, Paul Kariya only played for one
year (but what a year!) while Jim Montgomery and others put together
a full 4 years of dominating play.  I hope the fans take this seriously,
I can just see the ballots up at Alfond...half will have 12 players from
UM on them, while the students', who take voting for anything SOOO
seriously (less than 1000 voted for the President of the Student
Body on a campus of 11000+) will turn in rather interesting ballots.
Meanwhile at Walter Brown, 12 BU players will be chosen, and at Conte
12 BC players etc etc etc...hopefully that won't happen.
I won't post my picks, but I'll just say I'll take Pellerin, Kariya,
Montgomery at forwards, Imes and Carney on D and let Terreri and
Dunham split time in goal and I think I've got the best team.
(Not too many UM players there, eh?)

Best/Most Exciting game: I would pick the Providence/UMaine classic
2OT game at Alfond in February 1989 in the NC$$ Quarterfinals which had
every person in Maine literally on the edge of their seat.  The best
game in League Play would be the 1991 HE Championship (NESN still shows
that final play 100 times a day) where BU beat UM.  The best regular season
game (that I have seen) would be the game Jan 31, 1992 at Alfond between
BU and UM.  It was the first game I videotaped, and from my rather
precarious position some 16 feet above a concrete floor with only 2
copper pipes between it and me I watched a certain victory (Maine led
4-0 after the first period) turn into a hard-fought contest with BU finally
tying it in the 3rd and then a furious overtime that saw rush after rush
up the ice, with save after spectacular save by the netminders.  I
kept an eye on NESN's monitors throughout the game for replays, and even
found myself rewinding my own tape to see the plays.
It was amazing.

Best Individual Season/Career:  I'm going to choose Kariya for the best
year as an individual and Montgomery for the best career (surprise surprise)
but it is not as easy as that.  Kariya was easily the most dominant player
last season, however when I think of the players who control the flow and
outcomes of games, I immediately think of the goaltenders.  Terreri was
able to win a championship even tho the defense in front of him was less
than stellar; Jeff Levy very nearly stole the 1992 Championship from the
Black Bears with a performance that only Terreri could top; Dunham and
Snow were stone walls in the net for UMaine for 3 years, a span which
saw the Bears win over 105 games, an NC$$ title and 2 HE championships.
Granted, many games were cake walks where even I could have gone out and
sat in net with a newspaper and a lawn chair and we still would have won,
but when the game was on the line, it was reassuring to know that (with
one notable exception) the puck wasn't going past the goal line.  In a
case like Terreri's, you have to wonder "Just how many times can a 20-year
old kid make save after save"...with Maine, it was one shot and the puck
was on its way back up the ice.

A few other notes:  Its good to see that Jean-Yves will have a chance with
Team Canada...it was mind boggling in 1991-92 when they cut him in September
even tho he was their leading scorer (and in fact was still their leading
scorer when they played us in mid-October).
Last night Team USA played Canada in NY (it was a late game so I don't
have the final, but USA was up 5-1 in the second), and Matt Martin made
the local highlight reels with a devastating check of Paul Kariya.
Local sportscaster Bruce Glaiser noted that "school ties" are quickly
forgotten.
Former Maine Black Bear Dave LaCoutre was signed by the Portland Pirates
of the AHL in late December for a 25-game tryout.  Also, Mike Boback
formerly of the Providence Friars has returned from an injury and is
playing well.

Well, I guess thats all for now, I think I've rambled on long enough.

John Forsyth
Class of ?

February 19, 1993: A date which shall live in infamy
73-5-2, 2 rings and an NC$$ title..not bad for 18 months' work.