Sender:
From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1993 05:25:44 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>And indeed, this is what happened in the UNH-Providence game.  It would
>appear there is such a rule in NCAA hockey.  Anybody know if this exists in
>other (NHL, AHAUS, etc) rulebooks?  It's a new one for me (and I *thought* I
>knew all the rules :-)

The USA Hockey, NCAA, and AHL/NHL rulebooks all contain the following
statement regarding the release of a penalized player when a goal is scored:

        "Short-handed" means that the team must be below the numerical
        strength of its opponents on the ice at the time the goal
        is scored.  The minor or bench minor penalty that terminates
        automatically is the one that causes the team scored against
        to be short-handed. ....

So again, let's say player A1 receives a minor penalty at 1:00, B1 receives
a minor at 1:30, and B2 receives a minor at 2:00. If team A scores at 2:30,
then B2 is the player who comes out, since he was the one who caused
team B to be shorthanded at the time of the goal.          -- kennyz

--
Kenny Zalewski -- Computer Science Department; Intramural Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180