Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1992 12:11:53 EST
Rich Vehlow writes:

>I see that Princeton and RPI each have 15 points. However Princeton always
>seems to be listed first whenever the teams are tied. Does that mean that
>the Tigers are in 9th and the Engineers are in 10th if they were to finish that
>way? Wouldn't make sense if that were so. Look at the overall records. RPI is
>EIGHT points above Princeton.

Most published standings tend to list tied teams alphabetically, which is why
Princeton always comes before RPI.  However, Princeton currently DOES have the
tiebreaker edge over RPI because of their 5-3 win over the Engineers in Jan-
uary.  The ECAC's first tiebreaker is head-to-head record.  Thus, if Princeton
defeats RPI again this weekend, the Tigers will clinch ninth place and relegate
RPI to tenth.

Overall records are NEVER used to break ties in league standings.

A voluminous posting on ECAC tiebreakers is on its way...
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and probably '94        |  [log in to unmask]