Sender:
- The College Hockey Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 17:15:52 -0500
BRODT LEAVING "U" TO JOIN NATIONAL PROGRAM

Minnesota women's hockey coach Laura Halldorson announced that Winny Brodt ,
the Western Collegiate Hockey Association-Women's League defensive player of
the year in 1999-2000, will not return for her senior season and will accept
an invitation to train with the U.S. National Program.

"I'm excited for her," Halldorson said. "I'm happy that she's getting this
opportunity. It's important for her if she is to play on the national team
(in 2001-02). This will give her great experience.

"Obviously we're losing a very talented player. That will have an impact on
our team, but this is the best time for it to happen because we have depth
on defense and can absorb this loss."

Despite missing 11 games due to fractured back, Brodt was second nationally
on defense with 50 points. She tied for the team lead with 37 assists and
was a first-team All-WCHA selection as well as earning all-tournament honors
at the American Women's College Hockey Alliance National Championship.

"This is going to be a good experience for me," Brodt said. "I think it will
make me a better player and it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Brodt, who played on the U.S. National Team at the 2000 World Championships,
will be one of 25 players in the program this year. Most of the U.S. team at
the 2002 Winter Olympics will be chosen from this group.

The Gophers, who won the 2000 AWCHA National Championship, get their season
underway Oct. 14-15, playing St. Cloud State in a home-and-home series which
begins in St. Cloud.

Craig Roberts
Asst. Media Relations Director
University of Minnesota Women's Intercollegiate Athletics
Phone: (612) 624-0522     Fax: (612) 624-8018
For the latest in Gopher Sports News visit www.gophersports.com
Or call the Diet Coke Gopher Sports Hotline at (612) 624-STAT