Sender:
From:
Andrew Christianson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:03:59 -0500
While the Star Spangled Banner was not officially the national anthem
(there was no official anthem, coincidentally), it was the song played
during that WWI era game.  If I remember correctly for "Baseball", it was
the first 4th of July after we entered the war.

Andrew

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:19:20 -0500 wrote...
>On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:24:44 -0500 Ken Kretsch wrote:
>
>> I remember this was discussed in Ken Burns's "Baseball". As near as I
can
>> remember, it was during the later months of WWI, when the Yanks had
>> (finally) joined.  During the 7th inning stretch of a Chicago White Sox
>game
>> the band spontaneously struck up the Star Spangled Banner. The crowd was
>so
>> enthusiastic that they did it again the next day. and the next, and the
>> next...
>>
>> Ken Kretsch
>> BU '79
>
>The Star Spangled Banner was not officially designated as the U.S.
national