Sender:
From:
Iyer Venkatesan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 17:08:23 -0800
Comments:
  There have been situations in the past where a league has had
> co-champions -- in 1995, Maine and BU finished tied atop Hockey East, and last
> year, Michigan and Lake Superior both were first in the CCHA.

I think both LSSU and Michigan were deemed co-champs, but LSSU got the
#1 seed (based on head to head) in the CCHA tournament, meaning that they would get the auto bid for the NCAA tournament.  I can't recall of any conf tourney
where there has been two #1 seeds, so whoever is seeded first has technically
come in first in the conference and gets the auto bid.

 Do they both get "semi-automatic" bids?  Or would the
> committee give the bid to whichever co-champ had the higher conference playoff
> seeding based on the tiebreakers?  Or whichever one *wasn't* going to get an
> at-large bid?  Or what?

They would give it to the team seeded first in the conf tourney as they
have been "crowned" by the conference as regular season champs.  Again, unless
a conf decides to have two #1 seeds, it would be clear that the #1 seed in the
conf tourney gets the auto bid.

Iyer