Sender:
From:
"J. Michael Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 00:08:20 -0500
It should be pointed out that it's not just the faculty at Minnesota-Duluth
that try to adopt the mantle of being 'the' University of Minnesota.  The
last time I looked, the scoreboard at the DECC puts 'UMTC' on the visitors
side when the Gophers are in town.  So it's not just a Massachusettes
thing.

What does have me puzzled is quite why Leigh Torbin gets so exercised about
the whole thing.  In my experience, it's usually the people at the SMALLER
school that are big on making the distinction, for some good reasons.  I
can perfectly understand Duluth fans getting frustrated at dealing with the
big city types, considering that we dominate everything from politics to
media coverage.  It's much the same way I feel about New York and, to some
extent, Boston.  If they want to call us 'UMTC', that's fine by me; in
fact, I get a bit of a chuckle out of it.

J. Michael Jackson