Sender:
From:
"John W. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 12:22:18 EST

> I won't do a real trip report, but I do want to throw in a couple comments:
>         1)  It was great to see all the hockey-l'ers in Cincy!  Another
> great hockey-l dinner!
>
>         2)  Although having the tourney in an arena that didn't usually
> host hockey probably contributed to the "Men's Slush-hockey Championship"
> debacle, the committee's purpose in having this event in Cincinnati was at
> least partially served.   We had four Cincinncati Cyclones season ticket
> holders sitting behind us who were VERY impressed by the level of play and
> were heard to say (already during the CC-UVM slush-a-thon) "if it's always
> like this, we'll have to head up to Miami sometime next year!"
>
>         3)  Today's St. Paul Pioneer Press contains an article by Gregg
> Wong about a piece of news I learned at the Barkan Bash* in Cincy:
>
> *Not a completely free advertisement for you, Jon; I'll collect my fee of a
> beer (or two, or three...) next year in Milwaukee.  :-)
>
> If the WCHA takes in Mankato State and Nebraska-Omaha, (without losing
> Northern Michigan) it would reach twelve teams.  The proposal is that they
> should be split into three divisions:
>
> The "Mariucci Division" after former Blackhawks great and Minnesota Coach
> John Mariucci would contain the four Minnesota schools - Minnesota,
> Minnesota-Duluth, St. Cloud State and Mankato State.
>
> The MacInnes Division, named for former Tech coach John MacInnes, would
> have Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, Wisconsin, and North Dakota.
>
> The Armstrong Division, named for former Denver coach Murray Armstrong,
> would consist of Denver, Colorado College, Nebraska-Omaha, and Alaska
> Anchorage.
>
> Each team would play the 3 teams in its division four times each, with two
> games against each of the 8 teams in the other divisions for a total of 28
> games.
>
> A major disadvantage of this for Gopher fans is the loss of four-game
> series against arch-rivals Wisconsin and North Dakota.  (Although, of
> course, the four-game decrease in conference games could be used to make up
> the lost games with those rivals...)
>
> Pam Sweeney
> Go Gophers!!!
> Ski-U-Mah!!!

While I like the idea of splitting up the conference into
three dividions, I woiuld hate not being in the same
dvision as Minnesota or North Dakota.  I say swith UND and UW
with St. Cloud and UMD.

Also, why go with confusing name for the dividions?  The NHL
did away with that so the game could be marketed better.
I realize the signigicance of the names, but d you think new
fans in Omaha will?

BTW, sorry about the typois (see?) I don't know how to
use the editor in this program.

later
jd