Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 22:01:43 -0500
Comments:
1996 HOCKEY-L NCAA TOURNAMENT PREDICTION CONTEST RESULTS:

My first year in charge of running these contests saw one of the closest
battles for the national title as not one person picked every game
correctly.  So it came down to the tie breaker which gave us a true national
champion.

Two points were awarded for each winner picked correctly.  The most common
game that was missed was Vermont's win over Lake Superior State.  Games were
not weighted this year to see what would happen, but with the large number
of ties I will institute a weight-system of some kind for next year.  I will
take any suggestions people have next year.

To try and keep in the spirit of things, I will award the winner the
National Championship, awards will be given to the best finishes by each
conference supporter as well as a Independent/Division III Award.
Participation and Performance Awards for conferences and teams will also be
given.

Before I give you the awards I want to thank G.M. Finniss once again for the
large amount of work (I found out!) over the years that it takes to run
these contests.  Like G.M. did, I plan to run a regular season contest in
the fall.

So without further wait, I give you the 1996 Tournament Prediction Contest
Awards...

1996 NATIONAL CHAMPION
=======================
* Edmond S. Tehan (East Region, RPI Supporter)
        Edmond, a 23-year follower of college hockey, won the National Title
by gaining 20 of 22 possible points.  Edmond picked the correct champion in
Michigan, and picked a total goals of 6.  Edmond was the closest to the real
total of 5.
        Congrats to Edmond on his superior performance!  He beat out 146
others who entered the contest.  Not an easy task to complete!

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS:
=====================

* HOCKEY EAST:  Karen Ambrose (East Region, UNH Supporter)
        Karen, like Edmond, gained 20 of 22 available points and was well
ahead of her closest Hockey East foe.  Karen was also the top female
finisher in the contest.  Karen picked Michigan to win it all with a total
goal number of 9.

* CCHA:  Mike Loomis (West Region, Bowling Green Supporter) and Duane Keahl
(West Region, Michigan Supporter)
        Both Mike and Duane had 20 points, and also chose Michigan to take
it all by a total goals scored of 8.  Officially Mike and Duane are the
"runners-up" along with one other party.

* ECAC:  Steve Czuba (East Region, RPI Supporter)
        Since Edmond won the National Championship, the next highest ECAC
Supporter was Steve Czuba.  Steve was also a runner-up with Mike Loomis and
Duane Keahl as he too picked up 20 points and chose Michigan as the champ
with a total goals scored of 8.

* WCHA:  Jeff Gehrke (West Region, Wisconsin Supporter)
        Jeff was the only conference champion not to gain 20 points.  Jeff
was one of two WCHA supporters to garner 18 points (Jay Krzyston the other)
but Jeff won the tie breaker by picking Michigan with a total goals scored of 9.

OTHER HONORS:
        * Kudos to Jayson Moy (East Region, RPI Supporter) and Andy Weise
(East Region, Clarkson Supporter) as both also gained 20 points, and picked
Michigan to win with a total goals number of 9.  Jayson and Andy
unfortunately fell slightly behind a strong ECAC showing finishing behind
National Champion Edmond Tehan, and ECAC Champion Steve Czuba.
        * You've seen the CHODR ratings all year, but how did they pick the
tournament??  Robin Lock submitted an entry for CHODR which gained 16 points
(73%).
        The highest Independent or Division III finisher was Dave Wiesmore
who scored 14 points but picked Michigan for the champion that was the tie
breaker.

ALMIGHTY ADMINISTRATORS?
========================
        While no administrator contended for the championship, they divided
themselves nicely.
        Mike Machnik (East Region, Merrimack Supporter) gained the top
Administrator spot by scoring 16 points well ahead of the other two
administration members.
        Bill Fenwick (East Region, Cornell Supporter) was the man in the
middle with 12 of 22 points, and Wayne Smith (East Region, Maine Supporter)
brought up the rear with 10 points.

LEAGUE & TEAM AWARDS
====================

TOP LEAGUE PARTICIPATION:  CCHA
        CCHA Supporters made up 32% of all the entries received.  The ECAC
was next with 26%, followed by the WCHA 22%, Hockey East with 17% and
Independents 3%.

TOP LEAGUE PERFORMANCE:  ECAC
        ECAC Supporters made up 4 of the 7 spots that had 20 points.  The
CCHA had two, and Hockey East one.

TOP TEAM PARTICIPATION:  Wisconsin and Boston University
        Both Wisconsin and Boston University had 16 supporters enter the
contest.  The next closest schools were Michigan State with 13 and Michigan
with 12.

TOP TEAM PERFORMANCE:  RPI
       This was a close one with Michigan, but because RPI Supporters did
not have their own team in the tournament the award goes to them.  Like
Michigan, 50% of all RPI supporters had 18 or more points, but they 3
supporters among those will 20 points, and they had the National Champion
Edmond Tehan among their group.

COMPLETE RESULTS
================
        Below is the complete results of the contest.  The only group in
"official" order is the group with 20 points.  Every other group is broken
up by points, but is not arranged in any order other than how the entry was
processed.  I've removed the demographic information to protect people's
information.  This is the same reason that I decided not to give awards by
age.  Next year I will probably ask for permission to release such
information.  Thanks to everyone for participating!!

NCAA TOURNAMENT PREDICTION CONTEST RESULTS:

Participant             PTS
================================
Edmond S. Tehan         20  MI-6 NATIONAL CHAMPION
Mike Loomis             20  MI-8 CCHA CO-CHAMPION
Steve Czuba             20  MI-8 ECAC CHAMPION
Duane Keahl             20  MI-8 CCHA CO-CHAMPION
Karen Ambrose           20  MI-9 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPION
Andy Weise              20  MI-9
Jayson Moy              20  MI-9
Glen Auerbach           18
Matt Calderwood         18
Jeff Gehrke             18 MI-9, WCHA CHAMPION
Jennifer Henderson      18
Jay Krzyston            18 MI-10
John Kirshner           18
Eric Maiwald            18
Steve Phillips          18
Dan Olsen               18
Jonathan Paul           18
Iyer Venkatesan         18
James Edwards           16
Tobin Johnson           16
Ken Jaslow              16
Anthony Mastantuoni     16
John Patterson          16
Mike Bellwin            16
Linda Toscano           16
CHODR                   16
Jeff Kelly              16
Roger Spurgeon          16
Pat Keenan              16
Mike Machnik            16
Andrew Brecher          16
Jeff Rosa               16
Ted Gamrom              16
Alex Bricker            16
David Griffel           16
Charlie Shub            16
Joe Wright              16
David Youlan            16
Jason Patton            14
Tom Hansen              14
Ross Belifori           14
Dave Belifori           14
Roy Tock                14
Terry Casper            14
Maria Maddaloni         14
John Belco              14
Eric Robinson           14
Eric Hoffman            14
Dave Wiesmore           14
Margie Rennett          14
Chris O'Donnell         14
Glen Keeney             14
Robin Lock              14
David Hyde              14
Chris Paine             14
James Blashill          14
Jim Dixon               14
Tom Morrison            14
Tom Curtis              14
Dave Morgenstern        14
Julian Chu              14
Scott Quakkelaar        14
Doug Garn               14
Josh Kleinbaum          14
Dan Kallman             14
Troy Douglas Thiele     14
John Edwards            14
Christopher Morgan      14
Tony Biscardi           14
Scott Spooner           14
Greg Weintraub          12
Pete Underlander        12
Gerry Dudley            12
Baljit Dhillon          12
Roland Jacques          12
Tony Connally           12
Kenneth Baker           12
Tom Rowe                12
Chris Lerch             12
Bill Fenwick            12
Marissa Peaglow         12
Charles Star            12
B.J. Priester           12
Sara Fagan              12
John Haeussler          12
Scott Southard          12
Jim Teresco             12
Chip Carnathan          12
Paul Carnathan          12
Jess Carnathan          12
Bill Link               12
Tim Johnson             12
Brian Walrath           12
Vijay Saluja            12
Paul Varnum             12
Bob Roy                 12
Marcus Day              12
Tom McArdle             12
Brent Dingman           12
David Withy             12
Mike Wheeler            12
Brian Bimberg           12
Wayne Hickbottom        12
Deirdre Schleich        10
Bill Lucas              10
Kris Maisonville        10
Ryan Waller             10
Joel Graber             10
Russell Jaslow          10
Nick Nicolai            10
Jonathan Chizick        10
Steve Klein             10
Mike Varney             10
Nan Fladung             10
Tony Buffa              10
Wayne Smith             10
Daniel Falk             10
Todd Myrick             10
Kurt Stutt              10
Kristen Robinson        10
William Krebs           10
Dave Hendrickson        10
Chris Dietrich          10
William Groskreutz      10
Keith Stokes            10
Brad Edward Toberman    10
Bill Affeldt            10
Peter Dankens           10
Rachel Lebejko          10
James Clippinger        10
Paul Drawz              10
Steve Moerland          10
Joe Gladziszewski       10
Bryan Kamrath           10
Rick Taft               10
Lori Szarwark            8
Matthew Bressette        8
Steve Bogas              8
Brian Roberts            8
James Old                8
Andrew Rapoff            8
Geoff Howell             8
Carl Ford                8
Michael Smar             8
Scott Biggar             8
Adam Wodon               8
Jeff Votteler            8
Mike Sheehan             6
Ryan Peterson            6
Jeffrey Anbinder         6
Deron Treadwell                                 [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine                                    GO BRUINS!  GO DUCKS!!