Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 00:17:41 -0100
At 12:09 PM 3/29/96, Steve Moerland wrote:
>       The officiating (yes, Cole was there) was bad, but it was bad both ways.
>Vermont fans were extremely upset when, late in the second period, the play was
>blown dead during a Vermont breakaway because the OPPOSITE goal was off the
>pegs.

As I recall, it was actually Vermont that knocked their own net off.  CC
had dumped the puck in up the left side, and as Thomas started to go behind
the net to play it, the puck took a strange carom out in front where a
Vermont player quickly cleared it to center ice where (St Louis?) collected
it for what would have been a breakaway.  However, in his rush to get back
to the crease, Thomas appeared to knock the net off - intentionally or not,
I could not tell.  This happened just as Vermont cleared the puck.

The fact that Vermont knocked the net off may have been what caused the
referee to whistle the play dead with Vermont in control of the puck.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93