Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 16:27:38 -0500
Congrats to the 1996 National Champions, Michigan for an outstanding season,
and another thrilling National Championship game.  These games do wonders
for the sport, especially when showcased live on ESPN.

As a neutral observer, it was difficult to really to decide who to cheer
for.  I ended up cheering for both teams as the game went on, but I really
wanted to see Red Berenson finally get the monkey off his back, because I
think he is a terrific coach.  He's been knocked time and time again because
Michigan has got to 4 of the last 5 Final Four's without winning one, well
he got it today.  Even more special is that it is his 300th victory.  But
Red who is always classy said that he "wouldn't care if this was his first
win."  He totally gave the team all the credit, and took none upon himself
after the win.

As for the game, if you haven't heard, it was a 3-2 OT win for Michigan.
Brendan Morrison put home a rebound roughly 4 minutes (??) in for the win.

We all know that hockey is a game of momentum, and this was clearly
magnified in the championship games.  All goals were scored at the same end,
and both teams dominiated the other for long stretches of play.

Michigan really had the edge in the first period as their defense limited CC
to only 3 shots.  While Michigan didn't create a multitude of chances (5
shots) they had the lone goal, and really seemed a cut about the Tigers.
Michigan came out and really played physical, and were real quick in
transition.  I thought CC started a little slow, perhaps because of nerves,
and had some good chances, but Michigan really played great defense.  It was
clear to me how Michigan beat BU and their top ranked offense by watching
the job they did in the first period.  Colorado College did play fine
defensive hockey this period, and if it wasn't for that Michigan might have
really broke things open.  They just were not able to do much offensively.

Colorado College would come back however, and they would do it quickly.
They would score their two goals (one on the PP) 1:45 apart and lead 2-1.
Unlike the first period, it was Colorado College who had the significant
edge in play.  Michigan was really backed into a corner many times in their
own zone, and took some bad penalites as a result.  CC was frustrating
Michigan as they put on lots of pressure, and the penalties only compounded
the problem.  We've heard much talk about CC's power play out East and boy
is it something.  I was very impressed.  What was even more impressive was
the hustle that UM showed killing these penalites.  CC had chances to make
this a 3-1 or even 4-1 game, but Marty Turco and the UM players really
worked hard and kept it close.

The third period started pretty close, but Michigan was showing that they
were going to come out and really put some pressure on.  They finally did
past the 6 minute mark of the 3rd when Legg scored to tie the game at 2-2.

Michigan really picked it up from here for the next few minutes, and CC was
scrambling at times to get back into the play, but Ryan Bach and the CC
players hung in there and as the period moved on the play became closer and
closer.  Both teams had chances in the last 5 minutes, with CC hitting a
post (it may have occured earlier).

In overtime, CC had the first real chance, but the best quality scoring
chance led to the goal.  As a CC player blocked a shot from the circle the
puck squirted underneath him and to a UM player who had a point blank shot
that I was amazed Bach saved, the rebound came right to Morrison who roofed
it and it was all over.

Overall a very good game.  CC's defense was much better than I had
anticipated and they really handled the UM team speed very well.  CC also
did not appear to be rattled by the more physical Wolverines.  Ryan Bach
played very well in net for CC in his last game, and Brian Swanson was
really impressive to me (forgive me if I picked the wrong "Swanson").  By my
count CC graduates 6 players, some very key.  Swanson is a freshman, and
he's going to be a great one.

For Michigan, they did not play their best hockey in parts of the second
period, and if they had another game to play I'm sure Red would tell them
that.  They showed great poise in not letting the game get away from them,
and they regrouped and played a good third period and ended up winning the
game in overtime.  If some UM players don't turn pro they have a good shot
to make it back here next season as they only lose four players to
graduation (Arnold, Hilton, Halko, and Sakala).  With a lot of firepower
returning up front, and Turco in the nets, all UM has to do is secure the
two defenseman spots they are losing and watchout, they'll be among the
favorites next year.

Another great hockey season under our belts, I know the people in Ann Arbour
will be celebrating for awhile, but I'm already looking forward to October!
Deron Treadwell                                 [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine                                    GO BRUINS!  GO DUCKS!!