Sender:
From:
"Jeffrey T. Anbinder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:04:14 -0500
William Sangrey said:
>2.  At Cornell, Lynah usually is near a sellout, but few people seem to
>find there way to the roundballers home in Alberding (which is connected to
>Lynah).  Then again, the icers usually win more often then the cagers.

This wasn't always the case - in fact, it's only really been the case this
year.  Cornell men's hoops had a pretty comparable record to men's hockey
over the last few years, sometimes even better (this year being a very
welcome exception).  There was a pretty good turnout for some basketball
games a few years ago, when the team first started playing in the Varsity
Field House (it's not called Alberding anymore - if you want to know why,
e-mail me privately).  This was mostly because the basketball games tended
not to conflict with hockey games (which they usually do now), and there
was also some sort of "Rock the House" campaign where they gave out
t-shirts, etc.

I think it's pretty telling that at Cornell, where all varsity sports
*except* for men's hockey now offer free admission for undergraduate
students, hockey is the only consistently packed event.  Actual sell-outs
are admittedly rare, but that's just as often because the visitors' section
("Section O Sucks") isn't sold out as for any other reason.

Jeffrey Anbinder
Ithaca Times Hockey Columnist