Sender:
From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:08:30 -0600
Sorry, but I must disagree with you who think Mrozik didn't deserve
the DQ for "punching".

Yes, there was a scuffle, yes Larson pushed Mrozik, and then Mrozik
clearly wound up and delivered a punch to Larson in the mask area.
I watched the tape last night several times, and even in slow-motion.
From a security person who was standing right in front of the action,
and also saw the replay...Mrozik deserved the penalty given.

This was NOT a penalty for "fighting" it was a penalty for "punching".
This is how the refs are getting around the three-DQ's-and-you're-done
fighting penalty. So this DQ, does not count towards any other fighting
majors that Mrozik may have. It will accumulate towards the total number
of games he must sit out however.

While I don't have a rulebook, we have gone over this several times and
the rule is: Any punch or attempt to punch an opponent will result in a
fighting major penalty and DQ. So, the refs are going easy on most
incidents by giving the penalty for "punching" and NOT fighting. I don't
agree with this policy and I don't like the new rule about three fighting
DQ's and you are done for the season, but that's the way it is.

There were lots of calls that Buzz and Ames could have called ON BOTH teams
during both games. There was plenty of slashing and cross-checking going
on, but Buzz and Ames like to "let 'em play". Every coach evaluates the
officials that reffed his games each week, so they do get some input.

As for having Shepard watching his refs more closely....I hope he stays
away from Mariucci! A couple of series ago, we also had Buzz and Ames,
who did a perfectly unremarkable job on Friday night. Then, with Shep in
the stands observing on Saturday night...they did a horrible job, so bad
that *I* was looking for Shep, myself as I had a few comments for him.
:-)

I myself have found that most fans see only the stuff the other team
does (and this is true of myself), so it is helpful to watch a replay
on what you believe is a questionable call. It is always helpful to
remember that the refs have a different view from most fans in
attendance and the cameras, and I mean that literally.  The refs don't
see it all, how I wish they could.

Just my .02!!

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!