Sender:
From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 18:51:02 -0500
> 2. This game would never have been made before Union broke through last year to
> beat RPI in the first game of the playoffs at Houston Fieldhouse.  The second
> time may just be Saturday.

That's probably true. When Union won that game, a LOT of eyebrows
were raised and a LOT of jaws dropped. It was almost as if Union
showed that they can, indeed, play Division I hockey. Why not show
the rest of the area?

Union fans (not to mention the team, as well) have definitely been
looking for some form of respect, recognition, whatever you want to call
it. This shows they at least have it in the Capital District.

> 3.  I'm not sure how well this game will sell.  Maybe 5,000 tops.  The upper
> deck will definitely be curtained off.

I'd agree with Brian on that one. Although Union has been drawing a
decent crowd at Achilles, it's only been about 2,000. I think we'd be
hard-pressed to find a strong Union student presence at the Knick.

> 4.  Why not do a tournament at the Knick with Union and RPI permanent co-hosts.
> Maybe even a New York State Championship, although that means re-playing ECAC
> opponents.  RPI was forced into taking this game by the people in the Sports
> Foundation.  Closing the operating "deficit" at the Knick has become a major
> concern for Albnay County, and this is another way to get more events into the
> Arena.  RPi has definitely benefited from the Foundation's efforts in securing
> the NC$$'s.

I think this would be a great idea. The Syracuse tourney and the GLI are
two holiday tournaments that usually host at least two "local" teams. They
seem to be having good success.

Maybe what they can do is some sort of "Capital District Invitational"
and invite two other Div I teams, a la the RPI Invy.

> 5. The Xmas Tournament will not be moved to the Knick.

And I don't think it should be. Tradition keeps the games at the
Fieldhouse.

> 6. Will there be beer sold for the game? :-)

No comment.  :-)

In general, it's a good idea for them to start this. There has been talk
about it for over a year. A one year deal is done probably to see what
kind of feedback/output/turnout they get for this game. As Brian says,
there certainly won't be 16,000, but I think there will be a good
turnout.

I'm interested in this for two reasons. One, as I said earlier, is what
type of turnout this will produce. Two, seeing these two teams play at
a neutral site and determining (by the fans) who the "home" team really
is in the area.  :-)

Of course, I want to see a good game.

Andy

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
+                                                                     +
+  Andy Weise           Let's Go Tech!                                +
+  SUNY Potsdam '93                     [log in to unmask]       +
+  Union College '95    Let's Go U!                                   +
+  Performance Systems International, Inc. (PSI)                      +
+  "If you think nobody cares you're alive, try missing a couple of   +
+   car payments."                                                    +