Sender:
From:
Eric Rickin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 10:19:55 -0500
I was reading the ann arbor news on Thursday, and the front page sports
section article was about how Red Berrenson wants to switch to 1/2 face
shields instead of the full.  He thinks that the full leads to more
boarding and checking from behind, because players don't think they're
gonna get hurt.. Which leads to Roy type situations.

Ok, I agree that the players have gotten rougher since full face shields,
but I think he's (red) is missing the point.  If the players are playing
rougher penalize them more.  DOn't get rid of the face shield.

Supposedly, since the NHL is cutting down on fighting, stick penalties
have gone up.  So... start cracking down on stick penalties, and they'll
go down too.  It's dumb to say, "Let them fight, then."

The only leagues in north america, besides the pros, who don't require
face shields are the canadian junior leagues.  IT's dumb to get rid of
thme, even for the 1/2 shield.

---
Eric Rickin ([log in to unmask])   | University of Michigan (December) 1995
PGP Public Key Available          | http://www.biology.lsa..umich.edu/~erickin
Biochemistry Central: http://www.biology.lsa.umich.edu/bio311/index.shtml
"I always believed that most of the people want peace and are ready to
     take a risk for it." Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin (Nov. 4, 1995)