Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:32:00 EDT
David writes...
>I was reading my 10/27 Hockey news and on pg 37 they have a picture of a
>Michigan State player but they identify him as Warren Luhning of
>Michigan.  I was wondering if anybody could correctly identify the
>mysterious Spartan.

Looked like Taylor Clarke to me.

Regarding the harsh words I had for the Wolverine's performance
last Friday, I've received oodles of messages.  About 40% agree
with me and roughly 60% think I was too hard on them.  It's now
almost a week after the game, and here are my thoughts:

 (1) Western did some real butt-kicking...no matter what is said
about Michigan, you can't take away the fact that the Broncos
played well and deserved to win.

 (2) I've seen Michigan get stomped before, but I still believe
(IMO) that this was the first time I've seen some of the Wolverines
give up during a game.  It was, and still is, very disappointing.

 (3) I was hard on defenseman Mark Sakala, I won't deny that.
Off the ice, he's a helluva guy.  On the ice, he scares me.  I still
believe that his effort (or lack thereof) on Friday was the worst
individual performance I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.
I'm still wondering if the primary reason was that he wasn't 100%
healthy.  If his performance was largely due to physical ailments,
then he shouldn't have been dressed for the game, which is
another can of worms.

So, I'm sorry if I offended anyone by coming down so hard on
the Wolverines.  Yes, I am spoiled (as a few people have pointed
out :-) by their success in the 1990s.  However, I stand by the
comments above.  From where I was sitting, it really was THAT
bad.

John H - U Mich (2-1-0,1-1-0 CCHA)
Looking forward to another thriller at the Palace tonight.