Sender:
From:
Mark Sonnier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 11:05:11 -0900
On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, TERRENCE GILDRED 4XW 271-6782 (NICK) wrote:

> Dean, It's very common for a Hockey team to raise sticks in a salute to the
> fans at the end of a game... no matter what the out come.  My kids High School
> team does this salute after every game... even blow-out losses. The intent is
> to thank their fans for the support.  I think it's a nice touch, they tell me
> it's very hard to left the sticks when they lose, but if they don't they don't
> play next game.  I'm not a Gopher fan or follower, but I assume this is the
> tradition I've seen at all levels... except pro.
>
> Nick

That's how it's been done here at UAF for the past several seasons.  I agree
that it must be difficult for the players to salute after a tough loss
when the overwhelming urge is to head to the locker room.  However, as a
devoted fan of the *game* it's nice to see the players respect the game,
the fans and themselves.  Midwestern flame wars aside, I think respect is
the key for all involved.  Perhaps the pros could learn a thing or two
from watching the kids play...

Enjoy the finals, even if your team (like mine) is watching the games on
ESPN with the rest of us...

Mark

Mark J. Sonnier                       Golden Valley Electric Association, Inc
[log in to unmask]                             University of Alaska Fairbanks
         *** UAF Nanook Hockey - 95-96 Full Members in the CCHA! ***