Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 01:49:17 -0500
Arthur Berman writes:
>I've got no comment on the game itself, but I noticed that there were
>less than 1000 fans in attendance.  If this is the baseline for fan
>support this leads to a question about Merrimack's viability as a Hockey
>East school.  I know you can comment on this.

Attendance at MC has been up and down this season.  Good showings vs
PC, UNHx2, Mainex2, and UML; poor showings in NC games and occasional
HE games like UMA.  I would expect a good turnout in the final three
home games, 2 with BC and one with BU.

I don't think it says anything about MC's viability as an HE school.
A number of schools have had their attendance be up and down this
year: NU, PC, MC, and BC.  UML was not drawing well until this season.
Superb marketing (something MC does not have) has helped UML, as well
as the record last year and the appearance of a bonafide star like
Bullock.

In general, I believe if you were to look at % of seats filled among
the teams in the four conferences, HE would come in last.  Why this is
varies from school to school.  Some schools are not doing well on the
ice, and others have just never been able to draw well even when icing
good teams.

At Merrimack, we believe that although the uncomfortableness of the
rink for spectators plays a role, a bigger factor is the team's
inconsistency on the ice.  To steal the line from Field of Dreams, "if
you win, they will come."  Merrimack had consistent sellouts or near
sellouts in the late 80s when they were winning.  I think if they are
able to start winning games, attendance will increase.  Especially
home games - they began the season 1-5-4 at home before sweeping Air
Force, and that one win was against DivIII Salem State.

In January, back to back games against UNH (tie/SO win) and at BU
(win) seemed to produce some real interest among local fans for MC's
next home game vs Lowell, two days after the BU upset.  But Lowell
came in and pounded the Warriors 9-0...a better showing may have
helped carry that interest over.

However, I also think that the stretch of four straight NC games in
late January caused local interest to decline somewhat as people
stopped following the team.  The four home games before that saw an
avg crowd of 2,302.  Since then, the Warriors have drawn an avg of
about 900 in three home games vs Air Force (2) and UMA - all wins, but
these are also not teams that attract a large amount of interest here.