Sender:
From:
Jason Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 03:05:30 -0500
Sophomore netminder Eric Thibeault (Tee-bow) stood on his head this
evening and stole a game for his team from Boston University.  The BU
game notes surmised that Merrimack's 4-10-3 sophomore Martin Legault (Le-go)
would get the starting nod tonight which surprised me since I recalled
reading positive things on Thibeault of late on Hockey-L.  In fact,
Thibeault got his third start in a row.  Merrimack extended their
unbeaten streak to three (5-2 win at Army, 3-3 shootout win versus
New Hampshire).  Thibeault is now 3-1-1.

Thibeault picked up the Hockey East record for saves in a game tonight
with something like 54.  BU outshot Merrimack something like 22 - 1 in
the third period, but could not pick up the game tying tally.

I'm sure Mike as well as some of the BU faithful will have more comments
to add, but here are some more personal thoughts on the game.

While we were still waiting for the outcome of the UNH-Northeastern contest,
there was a possibility that Merrimack could move into a tie for fourth
place in Hockey East with UNH (although everyone has games in hand on
the Warriors), if Merrimack and Northeastern won (New Hampshire won).
Still, Merrimack is in fifth and has tied or beaten everyone in front of
them (shootout win against Maine, victory over BU, shootout loss vs
Northeastern, shootout win Sunday against UNH).  Not too shabby.  If
Thibeault could keep playing as well as he did tonight who knows.
I don't know how realistic that is but a hot goalie can take you places
in Hockey East.  Out of premature curiosity, where was UMass-Lowell
at this point last year?

By a BU student raising these questions you all should understand how
good Thibeault looked tonight.  But one game does not make a season.
Merrimack seemed to throw BU off its game through the first 30 minutes
building a 3-1 lead but right around the midpoint of the game, BU
righted the ship.  They attacked and attacked and attacked and for the
last 30 minutes, Merrimack was doing their best to protect their lead
and that was it.

As my broadcasting partner said tonight, for BU they can't be too
disappointed with tonight's loss.  They ran into a hot goaltender and
they'd much prefer to run into a hot goalie in January as opposed to in
March.

BU was something like 0 for 11 on the power play.  More than a couple
minutes were 5 on 3 power play time.  Thibeault did it all while
Merrimack was shorthanded.

Freshman Casey Kesselring (Forward) and Senior Captain Mark Cornforth
(Defenseman) impressed me with their play tonight.

My $.02.  I'm sure more comments are to follow.

         |__   __|  |  __  |   Jason Patton  Boston University  SMG/COM '95
 |____|     | |     |  ____|   WTBU Play-By-Play Voice of Terriers Hockey
         |____|     |_|        WTBU 89.3 FM / 640 AM General Manager

                                       http://www.lm.com/~donnpat