Sender:
From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 21:03:29 -0500
A query about Penn Hockey!  I can"t believe it.  Penn dropped hockey after
the '77-'78 season.  Their last good player (at least that I remember), was
Tom Cullity, from Charlestown, MA.I'm pretty sure that he wound up at UVM.
 Anyway, in the early "70's Penn was quite good.  Research reveals that they
made the ECAC playoffs in '71, '72 and'73.   I do remember vividly that in
"72 they finished 4th, with home ice, and UNH (go Wildcats) finished 5th.
 UNH was the upstart and went down there and beat them 5-3.  That is hard to
believe, what with all of UNH"s future futility.  A good friend of mine, Hugh
Samson, played defense for this Penn team and has told me that they were
looking past UNH to, what they thought, was the inevit.able match against the
Cornell Big Red, who they had beaten during the regular season.  Needless to
say, it did not happen.  Penn was coached at the time by Jim Salfi, who later
went on to coach RPI (I guess he turned the tables when RPI upset UNH in '74)
and, whose son Kent played on the "93 Maine NCAA championship team. In '73
they finished 5th, played at BU and beat them.  I seem to recall that the
Penn goalie made 50 or so saves to get his team to the Garden.  They finished
4th in the tournament.  I also seem to recall that they were also coached by
Bob Crocker, who later went on to coach at BU and then do work for the
Hartford Whalers.  I am sure that there are others who can wax more
eloquently about them (including my friend Hugh).  I do know that they had
ugly uniforms!!

Go Wildcats,

Greg Ambrose, '72