Sender:
From:
"Richard P. Boehme" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 17:00:01 -0500
With all the debate about RPI and Clarkson and the 3-2 Clarkson win, I'd
like to add my 2.12 cents (PA 6% sales tax!)

During that year, RPI was ranked #1 a couple of times, including the
just *before* the North Trip to Clarkson & St. Lawrence.  Going in to the
Clarkson game, we were riding our second 10 game winning streak of the
year and had a record of something like 29-3.  Clarson beat us 3-2 on the
strength of two late goals and some insane goaltending by Jamie (?) Falle.
My buddies and I listened to teh game on the radio (good ole WARPI!)
and the emotions naturally ran the gamut.  I think the game was on a Friday
night, and we would play St. Lawrence on Saturday.

Wait a correction, we were 25-3 when we played Clarkson.  Follow my reasoning,
please.  We lose, 25-4.  We beat St. Lawrence, 26-4.  The last two games
were against Colgate & Cornell, we win both.  28-4.  We sweep Colgate in the
ECAC quarterfinals.  30-4.  We win the ECAC semifinals and finals.  32-4.
First seed in the East (psyche!).  North Dakota comes in, makes us look SMALL,
zapping us two straight (I think Casey was their goalie). 32-6.  Great season,
sad finish.  That was the year that all 4 East Schools were beaten by the
West schools in the NCAA quarterfinals, and Bowling Green beat Minn-Duluth
to win it all.

But anyway, The following year we beat Clarkson early on and lost to
St. Lawrence and a tad later to North Dakota (not them again!).  The following
night we beat N.D. 8-2 and never looked back.

Oh well, enough reminiscing vicariously for now!

Rich Boehme

RPI'86        ->     Go Red!