From:
Kathleen Spahn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Spahn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2016 17:28:30 +0000
So true, here's a report released just this week by the Stanford History Education Group. Below is a quote that highlights the issue:

https://ed.stanford.edu/news/stanford-researchers-find-students-have-trouble-judging-credibility-information-online

"Another assessment had middle school students look at the homepage of Slate. They were asked to identify certain bits of content as either news stories or advertisements. The students were able to identify a traditional ad -- one with a coupon code -- from a news story pretty easily. But of the 203 students surveyed, more than 80 percent believed a native ad, identified with the words "sponsored content," was a real news story.

At the high school level, one assessment tested whether students were familiar with key social media conventions, including the blue checkmark that indicates an account was verified as legitimate by Twitter and Facebook.

Students were asked to evaluate two Facebook posts announcing Donald Trump's candidacy for president. One was from the verified Fox News account and the other was from an account that looked like Fox News. Only a quarter of the students recognized and explained the significance of the blue checkmark. And over 30 percent of students argued that the fake account was more trustworthy because of some key graphic elements that it included."

Kathleen
Kathleen Spahn
Portland Public Library