From:
John Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2022 18:22:56 -0400
You, Me, and Our Heartstrings / Melissa See 9780702317392 (Scholastic
Paperback)
Excellent, excellent! Here's a love story about two talented teens, Daisy
who was born with cerebral palsy, and Noah who feels like the weight of the
world sits on his shoulders because of perceived family expectations. His
older brothers are extremely skilled musicians and Noah believes he must
exceed their successes of be the family failure. Too bad he stuffs all that
inside to a point where he pretty much shuts out the world while living in
his own head.
Daisy, on the other hand, learned to accept her disability a long time ago
and sees herself as talented and disabled. Much of the time, she must grit
her teeth as those around her, even her parents, can't see her wholeness.
  When she and Noah are selected to be one of four duets performing at
their music school, that's when sparks begin to fly. At first, they're ones
of frustration, as Noah is being pretty rigid about the choice of music
they'll be playing, but Daisy digs her heels in and the end result is an
agreement that Noah's older brothers will compose a new piece for them.
After they play and are an instant sensation on the internet, things get
messy and very complicated. I'll let you read the book to discover exactly
what unfolds. I must say that the author, herself disabled, does a stellar
job of pointing out Daisy's realities and how much Noah must learn in order
to save the relationship. Summed up, this is a dandy, eye-opening love
story and would be perfect for library collections where depicting disabled
teens in realistic ways is valued.

--
John R. Clark
Author, cataloger, book reviewer