From:
Joshua Tiffany <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joshua Tiffany <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2021 14:22:56 -0500
Greetings, salutations, and welcome back to another baffling, batty,
breathtaking, and beautiful edition of the High Demand Hold Digest – your
source for the most required, requested, and remembered items in the Minerva
system.

Whelp… we made it… I think.

For any Buffy fans out there, a line from the episode “Once More With
Feeling” has been running through my head since January and, as we stand in
the darkest part of the year before hurtling headlong into whatever comes
next, I thought it worth sharing– “The battle’s done / and we kind of won /
so we sound our victory cheer / tell me – where do we go from here”.

This season is always a blend of light, hope, darkness, melancholy, fear,
uncertainty, greed, nostalgia, and a yearning to return to safer shores.
But despite those good and bad feelings that mix like mud on your spiritual
boot, I want to congratulate you, my dear reader.  If you are reading this,
then you are about to reach Level-22 of the 21st Century and, as we have all
learned, that is no small accomplishment and worthy of celebration.  Not
everyone we love has made it this far, so sometimes the simple act of
enduring is victory.

But, as the setting sun of 1:51PM starts to cast itself through my window,
and the melancholy “singing” of Nick Cave fills my cluttered, unkempt office
and mind, I celebrate yet another small victory – that, as 21 turns to 22,
our libraries are still here.  Our doors are open, our chairs are out, our
shelves are constantly being stuffed with shiny new items, and our goods are
being requested, browsed, and borrowed.  In the single act of checking
something out, the library continues to throw sparks in the soul of the
user.

Without giving too much credit to the alleged creator of the phrase, it is
good to remember that a single spark can start a prairie fire.  I’ve always
taken it as a matter of both faith and truth that ANY artistic expression,
regardless of the format, has the potential to change someone’s life.  I can
think of so many moments in my own life were finding that right passage of a
book, that right chord of a song, that right frame of film has both
delivered my soul through the darkest of nights, or unlocked some unknown
gate that flooded my spirit with a renewed wonder and passion. We offer
everything to everyone – something few other institutions can claim.

Every time a user exposes themselves to our offerings, it creates a spark in
them.  That spark might amuse for a moment or keep the person warm for the
rest of their days.  And what is most wonderful about that simple truth is
that is that we, as library workers, rarely ever know this has occurred.  So
to every person in every capacity who works, volunteers, or simply uses a
library – I send my heartfelt and deepest thanks.  We all play a part in
making this miracle happen.  Keep those fires burning.

To all of you, I send my warmest and brightest holiday wishes.  Whether you
light the menorah, dance, sing, and gamble in the name of Saturnalia,
celebrate the birth of Christ, enjoy the communal feast of Karamu, or just
drive around looking at the light displays of your friends and neighbors, I
hope you find love, warmth, joy, grace, compassion, and peace during these
dark days.  December itself is a miracle – we took the darkest, shortest
days of the year and, through an act of will and imagination, created long
days of light, warmth, and love.

Happy holidays y’all.  Thank you for being here.

I’ll see you in 2022.

Josh

Joshua Tiffany, MLIS

Director – Gray Public Library

Minerva Executive Board Member / Treasurer

Chair – Minerva Cataloging Committee

Minerva Circulation Standards Member

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world
pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better,
pushing right back. – Albert Camus

  _____

This electronic mail message and any attachments hereto, as well as any
electronic mail message(s) that may be sent in response to it, may be
considered public records, and may therefore be subject to public record
requests for review and copying under Maine's Right to Know Law (Title 1,
401-521 of the Maine Revised Statutes).

Fiction:

1.	The Lincoln Highway (Towles) – 354 holds on 88 items
2.	State of Terror (Clinton and Penny) – 220 holds on 82 items
3.	Oh William! (Strout) – 208 holds on 61 items
4.	The Judge’s List (Grisham) – 190 holds on 63 items
5.	Cloud Cuckoo Land (Doerr) – 173 holds on 78 items
6.	The Dark Hours (Connelly) – 133 holds on 62 items
7.	Wish You Were Here (Picoult) – 129 holds on 43 items
8.	The Sentence (Erdrich) – 125 holds on 37 items
9.	Go Tell the Bees that I am Gone (Gabaldon) – 102 holds on 46 items
10.	Game on: Tempting 28 (Evanovich) – 86 holds on 42 items
11.	Mercy (Baldacci) – 82 holds on 41 items
12.	Our Country Friends (Shteyngart) – 69 holds on 23 items
13.	Fear No Evil (Patterson) – 65 holds on 27 items
14.	These Precious Days (Patchett) – 52 holds on 22 items
15.	Autopsy (Cornwell) – 40 holds on 20 items
16.	The Island of Missing Trees (Shafak) – 27 holds on 12 items
17.	Cloud Cuckoo (Barns and Noble edition) – 27 holds on 1 item
18.	The Promise (Galgut) – 25 holds on 9 items
19.	Paradise (Gurnah) – 25 holds on 5 items
20.	The Christmas Bookshop (Colgan) – 24 holds on 12 items

Non-fiction:

1.	There is Nothing Here for You: Finding Opportunity in the 21st
Century (Hill) – 71 holds on 13 items
2.	Betrayal: The Final Act of the Trump Show (Karl) – 50 holds on 7
items
3.	The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity (Graeber) – 44
holds on 10 items
4.	Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals (Burkeman) – 31
holds on 10 items
5.	Both / And: a life in many worlds (Abedin) – 27 holds on 4 items
6.	Midnight in Washington: How We Almost Lost Our Democracy (Schiff) –
24 holds on 11 items
7.	Atlas of the Heart: Mapping Meaningful Connection and the Language
of Human Experience (Brown) – 22 holds on 7 items
8.	All About Me!: My Remarkable Life in Show Business (Brooks) – 19
holds on 6 items
9.	Baking for the Holidays: 50+ Treats for a Festive Season (Kieffer) –
17 holds on 8 items
10.	Woke Racism: How a New Religion has Betrayed Black America
(McWhorter) – 15 holds on 2 items
11.	Best Wishes, Warmest Regards: The Story of Schitt’s Creek (Levy) –
12 holds on 4 items
12.	The Deep Places: A Memoir of Illness and Discovery (Douthat) – 10
holds on 2 items
13.	The Truth about COVID-19: Exposing the Great Reset, Lockdowns,
Vaccine Passports, and the New Normal (Mercola) – 9 holds on 1 item
14.	The Lyrics: 1956 to Present (McCartney) – 8 holds on 4 items
15.	The High 5 Habit: Take Control of Your Life With One Simple Habit
(Robbins) – 8 holds on 3 items
16.	The Complete Autumn and Winter Cookbook (America’s Test Kitchen) – 7
holds on 3 items
17.	Wish It Lasted Forever: Life with the Larry Bird Celtics
(Shaughnessy) – 7 holds on 1 item
18.	Justice on the Brink: The Death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the Rise of
Amy Coney Barrett, and Twelve Months that Transformed the Supreme Court
(Greenhouse) – 7 holds on 1 item
19.	Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself (Neff) –
6 holds on 3 items
20.	That Sounds Good: 100 Real-Life Recipes for Every Day of the Week
(Music) – 6 holds on 2 items

Pre-order

1.	The Recovery Agent (Evanovich) – 48 holds
2.	The Maze (DeMille) – 32 holds
3.	Abandoned in Death (Robb) – 29 holds
4.	Criminal Mischief (Woods) – 28 holds

Large Print:

1.	The Judge’s List (Grisham) – 90 holds on 16 items
2.	The Lincoln Highway (Towles) – 70 holds on 9 items
3.	State of Terror (Clinton / Penny) – 64 holds on 28 items
4.	Oh William! (Strout) – 53 holds on 4 items
5.	The Dark Hours (Connelly) – 49 holds on 9 items
6.	Cloud Cuckoo Land (Doerr) – 37 holds on 15 items
7.	Fear No Evil (Patterson) – 28 holds on 3 items
8.	Better Off Dead (Child and Child) – 23 holds on 5 items
9.	The Stranger in the Lifeboat (Albom) – 15 holds on 7 items
10.	Dear Santa (Macomber) – 13 holds on 3 items

Audiobook

1.	Mercy (Baldacci) – 7 holds on 2 items
2.	The Body Keeps the Score (Van Der Kolk) – 6 holds on 3 items
3.	Wish You Were Here (Picoult) – 6 holds on 2 items
4.	Lightning Strike (Krueger) – 6 holds on 2 items
5.	The Thursday Murder Club (Osman) – 5 holds on 2 items
6.	Taste (Tucci) – 4 holds on 1 item
7.	Three Sisters (Morris) – 3 holds on 1 item
8.	The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (Reid) – 3 holds on 1 item
9.	The man Who Died Twice (Osman) – 2 holds on 1 item
10.	An Irish Country Yuletide (Taylor) – 2 holds on 1 item

Graphic Novel:

1.	5 worlds.  Book 5, The emerald gate (Siegel) – 8 holds on 2 items
2.	Demon Slayer, Volume 22 – The Wheel of Fate (Gotoge) – 4 holds on 2
items
3.	Huda F Are you (Fahmy) – 4 holds on 1 item
4.	Amulet: Book 4 – The Last Council – 2 holds on 1 item
5.	The Building of the Transcontinental Railroad – 2 holds on 1 item
6.	Book Discussion Book Set: Might Jack (Hatke) – 2 holds on 1 item
7.	Stillwater vol 1 – Rage, Rage – 2 holds on 1 item

Blu-ray

1.	Free Guy – 10 holds on 3 items
2.	Jungle Cruise – 8 holds on 3 items
3.	Snake Eyes: G.I. Jor Origins – 4 holds on 1 item
4.	Flag Day – 3 holds on 1 item
5.	Alfred Hitchcock, The Masterpiece Collection – 2 holds on 1 item
6.	The Vincent Price Collection – 2 holds on 1 item
7.	The Truffle Hunters – 2 holds on 1 item

DVD

1.	The Hidden Life of Trees – 12 holds on 4 items
2.	A Little Christmas Charm – 5 holds on 2 items
3.	The Christmas House – 4 holds on 2 items
4.	Five Star Christmas – 4 holds on 2 items
5.	Survive the Game – 4 holds on 1 item
6.	Christmas in Rome – 3 holds on 1 item
7.	The Bette Davis Collection – 3 holds on 1 item
8.	A Goodwink Christmas – 3 holds on 1 item
9.	On the 12th Date of Christmas – 2 holds on 1 item
10.	Johnny Dangerously – 2 holds on 1 item
11.	Halloween III: Season of the Witch – 2 holds on 1 item
12.	A Fixer Upper Mystery 3-movie Collection – 2 holds on 1 item
13.	Come True – 2 holds on 1 item
14.	The Christmas Shepherd – 2 holds on 1 item
15.	Christmas She Wrote – 2 holds on 1 item
16.	Christmas by Starlight – 2 holds on 1 item
17.	Christmas at Dollywood – 2 holds on 1 item
18.	Breaking News in Yuba County – 2 holds on 1 item
19.	Write Before Christmas – 2 holds on 1 item
20.	Warning – 2 holds on 1 item

TV Series

1.	The Heart Guy: Series 5 – 4 holds on 1 item
2.	The Nevers: Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray) – 3 holds on 1 item
3.	When Calls the Heart: Year 8 – 3 holds on 1 item
4.	Spiral: Seasons 7 and 8 – 3 holds on 1 item
5.	NCIS: New Orleans Season 5 – 3 holds on 1 item
6.	Kevin Can F**k Himself: Season 1 – 3 holds on 1 item
7.	Designated Surivivor: The Complete Series – 3 holds on 1 item
8.	Prodigal Son: Season 2 – 2 holds on 1 item
9.	Midsomer Murders: Season 14 – 2 holds on 1 item
10.	Death in Paradise: Season 10 – 2 holds on 1 item

Blu-ray + DVD Combo Packs

1.	Old – 7 holds on 2 items
2.	Jungle Cruise – 5 holds on 1 item

Music CDs

1.	30 (Adele) – 8 holds on 2 items
2.	Raise the Roof (Plant and Krauss) – 6 holds on 1 item
3.	Red (Taylor’s Version) (Swift) – 4 holds on 2 items
4.	Equals (Sheeran) – 4 holds on 2 items
5.	New Long Leg (Dry Cleaning) – 2 holds on 1 item
6.	The Comeback (Zac Brown Band) – 2 holds on 1 item
7.	Voyage (ABBA) – 2 holds on 1 item
8.	A Stephen Sondheim Evening (Sondheim) – 2 holds on 1 item

Video Games

1.	Mario Party: Superstars – 9 holds on 2 items
2.	Pokιmon: Brilliant Diamond – 6 holds on 3 items
3.	Pokιmon: Shining Pearl – 6 holds on 2 items
4.	Metroid Dread – 6 holds on 1 item
5.	Ori and the Blind Forest – 2 holds on 1 item
6.	Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl – 2 holds on 1 item
7.	Miitopia – 2 holds on 1 item
8.	Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy – 2 holds on 1 item
9.	Farcry 6 – 2 holds on 1 item
10.	Sonic Colors Ultimate – 2 holds on 1 item