From:
Jon Knepp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Knepp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:44:58 -0500
With our adult programming, if a presenter specifies a price, I usually
don't try to haggle with them, I just calculate out whether our programming
budget can accommodate their price or not and whether I think the program
would be worth it.  A lot of our children's programs involve bringing
animals, performers, musicians, etc., most from at least an hour away, so
I've been working to find presenters that will appear for our standard fee
to offset those costs. Some of the concerts run about $5-600, and a few of
the presenters are in the $800 range. If someone is doing a Zoom, I usually
offer a $50 honorarium unless they specify a price, though I haven't paid
more than $100 for a Zoom. If someone is doing an in-person program and
doesn't specify a price, I usually offer $100 if they are local, or $100
plus standard mileage if they are not if no fee is presented.

I've found a lot of presenters over Zoom will not ask for or refuse a fee.
Even some local in-person presenters will refuse a fee as well. Some
presenters truly want to help out the library, even though we can afford to
pay them. Others, because of their employment, cannot accept even
honorariums. I like to pay people for their time, but I'm becoming more ok
with this, as we've sent checks to people who tried to refuse payment until
we pushed the issue only to have them not cash the checks anyways. Also,
these free programs allow us to use our programming budget to bring in more
expensive speakers.

We also do a lot of "make your own" programs. This is pretty typical for
kids' programs (storytimes, legos, family game nights), but I'm sure some
of your staff/volunteers probably have hobbies or interests they'd be
willing to speak about. One of our volunteers put together talks about
podcasting and UFOs, two of their interests, this year. One member of our
staff coordinates a "101 Series" where community members come in and talk
about something they're knowledgeable and passionate about. They're usually
low pressure and we have a set rate of $50 for these talks (with a small
allowance for if they need to be reimbursed for supplies as well)

Hope this helps!

--
Jon Knepp, Director of Library Services
Thompson Free Library