From:
Sarah Cropley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sarah Cropley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2021 19:18:39 +0000
Hey MELibs!

I figured this would be of interest to many of you. Alex Gino has recently put out a post on their blog talking about George and how they now feel that they made a mistake by calling the book by that name.

If you are unfamiliar with this middle-grade fiction, Gino writes about a transgender girl as she first explores the idea of her gender and begins to figure out how to be the person that she wants to be. Gino encourages people to edit the title of the book and call it Melissa's Story. They include images of some examples, and there are already a handful of replacement jackets out there. You can read more about the specifics in the blog post<http://www.alexgino.com/blog/?fbclid=IwAR2E0OM1-YT6cEyhPWanpkLmOuV4K7-Ze6i73RqkfjVUxPQnIFsuZ3_GDFE> and see other examples of those covers.

At PPL, we're working to update our records and considering what we'd like to do for the covers. There's no word of a reprint as of yet, but Alex Gino mentioned that the OCLC record has been updated to include Melissa's Story as an alternate title.

Thanks!

Sarah Mari Cropley | Children's Librarian
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]> | www.portlandlibrary.com<http://www.portlandlibrary.com/>
5 Monument Square | Portland, ME  04101
207-771-2715
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers