Sender:
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2022 18:10:24 -0400
From:
Jeff Cabral <[log in to unmask]>
To: Justin Hoenke <[log in to unmask]>
Completely agree, Justin. This was exactly one of my questions when I was
on the Maine Library Commission, as I served on the subcommittee (along
with Joyce Rumery, Beth Edmonds, Helen Fogler, and Dick Thompson), that
interviewed and selected candidates when Jamie was hired in 2014.

Having worked in states that do have a mix of state/county funding
(Pennsylvania, and Maryland - often called 'library heaven', or at least 15
years ago it was...), I can attest that it makes a tremendous difference. I
talked to others and Jamie about this several times, and I'm always
surprised that it doesn't come up MORE often. It's a hill to climb, but
what isn't...

Of course, so many of our cities would see state aid as an opportunity to
decrease their funding, but that then becomes a local battle, as at least
the State aid provides continuity and a degree of certainty.

Maine is one of 12 (not sure how accurate that # is anymore) states not
providing direct state aid to public libraries. This map from MBLC seems to
date back to 2017 (according to the site page), but the underlying data
appears to be older.  The ALA must track it somehow...

https://guides.mblc.state.ma.us/state-aid-review/united-states

I would love to see the State Librarian take this on as a challenge.

Jeff

Jeff Cabral
Library Director
McArthur Library