Date:
Wed, 4 May 2022 11:27:35 +0000
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Lucy Jackson Norvell <[log in to unmask]>
Your library can participate in a new public health initiative created by the nonprofit Safe Space Radio for all the libraries in Maine. If you would like to join us in sharing this free resource in your library, please contact Dr. Hallward directly at [log in to unmask] and she will send you some table tents.

A few months ago I shared information about the table tent project that the Scarborough Public Library piloted for Safe Space Radio (www.SafeSpaceRadio.com). More than sixty Maine libraries are now participating! Here's a recent segment on Channel 6 -- part of their "Let's Talk About It" program -- that features Dr. Anne Hallward's work and mentions the library table tents:

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/health/mental-health/lets-talk-about-it/maine-based-psychiatrist-and-podcast-host-makes-episodes-on-mental-health-available-via-qr-codes/97-fbae2714-8c20-4f15-b707-66c5e0e41e20

[Maine mental health expert makes access to info as easy as taking a picture
www.newscentermaine.com]

Safe Space Radio is a nationally broadcast, award-winning public radio program about subjects that are hard to talk about that affect our health.  Their mission is to inspire courageous conversations, reduce stigma, shame and isolation, and foster compassion and public health. In response to the acute mental health challenges faced by so many in our state, Safe Space radio has created two table tents with podcasts that speak to mental health struggles, to help people feel understood, hopeful, and less alone.  One is for adults, “Mental Health Can Start Here”, and one is for young adults, “Telling My Truth: Podcasts for Courage.”

As Wynter Giddings, president of the Maine Library Association writes, “Isolation, substance use disorders, depression, and anxiety are affecting more Mainers than ever- and it is a real challenge for many to find access to free or affordable mental health resources… or safe spaces. Having listened to Safe Space Radio myself, I can say that it is a valuable resource with a good reputation, that we are sharing with the community here at Curtis Library in Brunswick. Safe Space Radio provided us with professional-looking table tents with QR codes; by placing these around the library we try to reduce stigma, while discreetly increasing access to resources they are sometimes afraid to ask us for, and by offering an alternative to self-help books.”

At the Scarborough Public Library, for the last few months, we have placed table tents on many tables, along with posters inside our computer carrels, so that patrons can listen to them at the library or hover their phone camera over a QR code and download the podcasts for future listening. Each of the podcasts is an interview with a courageously vulnerable storyteller, giving voice to often silenced struggles, in order to help others. Our patrons are listening!

Learn more here about Safe Space Radio: www.safespaceradio.com. Dr. Anne Hallward, a psychiatrist in Portland is the host of more than 225 podcasts. Here is a two-minute clip that describes what Safe Space Radio is about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxfwqZbDZg

[Safe Space Radio The Gift of Telling your Silenced Story
How finding the courage to tell the stories that we hide inside becomes a gift to others who feel alone with stigma and shame.
www.youtube.com]

If you would like to join us in sharing this free resource in your library, please contact Dr. Hallward directly at [log in to unmask] and she will send you some table tents.

Many thanks for your interest in this innovative and helpful program, especially during Mental Health Awareness Month.

Kindly,

Lucy

Lucy Jackson Norvell

Coordinator of Programming