Sender:
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2020 19:55:52 +0000
From:
Nancy Crowell <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Lib Dir Public Listserve <[log in to unmask]>
We are adding Scarborough Public Library to the list of closures as of 5:00PM Sunday. No time line has been set.

An interesting impact of our cooperative lending agreements, as libraries shut down around us (Portland, South Portland, Falmouth, etc.), we saw many people from area communities stocking up on books from our collection.  It adds an ethical footnote: as communities are lowering the risk curve for their residents, they are inadvertently increasing the risk in other communities as people travel to other towns.  Add our convenient Sunday hours into the mix and we saw lines that we have never experienced before.  You'd have thought we were giving out toilet paper!  Where do books and TP rank on the Maslow hierarchy?

Stay well everyone!

Nancy E. Crowell, Library Director
Scarborough Public Library
48 Gorham RD