MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"McKenney, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McKenney, Janet
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2021 21:37:01 +0000
Recap of Statewide Zoom Meeting: Coronavirus and ARPA – May 18, 2021 and further updates

The Zoom meeting is archived on the MSL Coronavirus page in the righthand column.

Here is a direct link to the May 18 Statewide Zoom <https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/services/zoom_May182021.mp4> for your convenience

Everyone, please enjoy the MLA Conference on Monday and Tuesday! I have therefore scheduled a meeting for next Wednesday at 3:15 pm to address any issues with changing guidance.

Statewide Zoom: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 @ 3:15 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

https://zoom.us/j/91388170107?pwd=b0g5OGtvbGR3Yjczc2t5ZFAzOXAvdz09

Meeting ID: 913 8817 0107

The May 18th meeting began with State Librarian, Jamie Ritter, urging Maine libraries to embrace opening buildings and leading their communities in the recovery by providing the necessary services at this crucial time as the pandemic eases.

We then reviewed the recent changes to building capacities, physical distancing, and masking guidance.

Libraries are challenged to create policies regarding masking to meet the needs of their communities, patrons, and governing bodies.  I hope we will receive additional guidance tomorrow but for today, Thursday, May 20 here is where we stand:

  *   There is no longer a requirement to quarantine interlibrary loan materials as of May 24, 2021 by the Maine State Library

  *   As of Monday, May 24th building capacity limits and physical distancing obligations are no longer mandated by the state or U.S. CDC for those who are vaccinated.

There is no Executive Order yet but refer to Governor Mill’s May 14 communication<https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/news/maine-adopt-us-cdcs-new-covid-19-guidance-2021-05-14>.

The Maine COVID-19 Prevention Checklists<https://www.maine.gov/decd/covid-19-prevention-checklists> will be retired as of Monday, May 24, 2021.

MSL will consult with the Maine Library Commission regarding retiring the Public Library Checklist since that checklist is dependent on the Maine Public and Community Building Checklist.

Current CDC guidance:

  *   Vaccinated people are not required to mask or physical distance except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.
  *   Unvaccinated people are urged to get vaccinated and continue to wear masks and follow all the CDC precautions<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html>, including physical distancing.

In his Wednesday Maine CDC briefing, Dr. Shah emphasized that we are in a transitory period regarding masks and the key is to be respectful and considerate. It was also noted that children are not a greater risk and that the virus targets vaccinated and unvaccinated populations. Schools and day care facilities will continue to require masks for staff and children.  The clear message is if you are not already vaccinated is to get vaccinated --  for yourself and others. You can view the May 19th briefing<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzFcSMqaav4> on YouTube.

The U.S. CDC Guidance sector guidance has not yet been updated. Libraries would likely fall under Community Based Organizations (CBO)<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/organizations/community-based.html> (last updated on April 19, 2021).

The U.S. CDC guidance is meant to “supplement—not replace—any state, local, territorial, or tribal health and safety laws, rules, and regulations with which organizations must comply. CBOs can determine, in collaboration with state and local health officials, whether and how to implement these considerations, making adjustments to meet the unique needs and circumstances of the local community. CBOs should continually assess, based on current conditions, how to modify their operations and programming to both advance their mission and protect their staff and stakeholders.”

Review of recent official documents:

Executive Order - April 24, 28, 2021<https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/sites/maine.gov.governor.mills/files/inline-files/EO%2095%2037.pdf>: Amends Face Covering Guidance

Executive Order May 13, 2021<https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/sites/maine.gov.governor.mills/files/inline-files/EO%2096%2038.pdf>: Amends Indoor Gathering and In-Store Customer Limits

May 13, 20021 U.S. CDC guidance<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html>: Masking and physical distancing guidance for vaccinated people

May 14, 2021 Governor Mills announcement<https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/news/maine-adopt-us-cdcs-new-covid-19-guidance-2021-05-14> - Maine to Adopt U.S. CDC’s New COVID-19 Guidance

Choosing Safer Activities Chart for posting<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/pdfs/choosingSaferAct.pdf> (U.S. CDC) [PDF]

Discussion and questions.

ARPA Survey Results - PDF<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/grant_projects/documents/SurveyResults-PDF.pdf>

Formula grants

Slim margin for base of $1500 that includes LSA and School Lunch Data– reading through comments. I am reviewing comments. This will be the minimum allocated.

Draft application<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/grant_projects/documents/Draft-ARPAFormulaFundApplication.pdf> with “buckets” for allowable funding under ARPA.

Emergency Connectivity Fund

Not as promising as expected but Jared Leadbetter of MSL will host a Zoom meeting next week for those libraries who want to learn more of options available through this program.

Information at - https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-launch-717-billion-connectivity-fund-program-0

There is opportunity for purchasing laptops and hotspots to be checked out by patrons.  Also opportunity for wireless router upgrades.

James Jackson Sanborn will discuss Maine InfoNet and ARPA at an upcoming meeting.

Stay well all,
Janet

Janet McKenney
Director, Library Development