From:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 1994 17:04:06 -0500
Steve Twombly writes:

> No comments on this game from the Herald's 3rd star edition...
> not much press about boston's team...why?
> Stewve

To answer your question (and I apologize for taking up bandwidth, although
I feel this needs to be addressed) Steve:

First of all, there was a big story on the Mass-Lowell victory over BU in
Thursday's paper. I know Joe Concannon, I saw him at the game, and I saw him
file his story. It was a 900-word story, about 3 pages into the sports section.
Maybe you don't read the Globe...maybe you missed the story...I don't know.

The Herald has a smaller reporting pool than the Globe, so they rely more on
wire stories for games played outside of Boston. In this case, the 3 stars
designates the earliest edition of the Herald, so the paper you saw went to
bed at about 12am. The wire story on the game probably didn't move until then,
and even if it did, the Herald's deadline was 11pm for the early edition.
I suspect there was a story (at the very least, the score) in later editions
of the Herald.

So the game actually did get some press. Next time, it may help to be a little
more thorough in checking the papers...the stories and/or scores are almost
always in there.

--Sid Whitaker