From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 1994 09:42:56 CST
Again, from the Minnesota Daily's gopher server, which cuts off headlines:

Headline: <%-4>Veterans lead hockey Gophers'<%0> month-long conference
Publish Date: 01/12/1994

David Jackson

<W0I>Staff Reporter

The Gophers' weekend sweep of Wisconsin is the latest sign that they
have emerged from their early-season doldrums.

On the morning of Nov. 12, Minnesota was 0-5-1. As late as Dec. 12,
the Gophers were tied for last place in the WCHA. But they have won
six of their last seven conference games and climbed from the cellar.
Today, Jan. 12, they sit in fifth place.

``Everyone's getting adjusted to their new roles,'' forward Justin
McHugh said. ``We've got a young team, and we had a lot of injuries
early on. The young people couldn't fill the spots right away, but
now they just step right in.''

Senior Tony Bianchi said improvement was a matter of the veteran
players leading the way.

``We've got the older guys taking over the leadership roles,'' he
said. ``Early on we weren't ready to do that. But now the seniors and
juniors are leading the way and other guys are finding their roles.''

Furthermore, success against Wisconsin gives the Gophers a big boost
of confidence as the season enters its second half.

The Badgers were ranked either second or third in each of the three
major college hockey polls, and the victories prove that Minnesota
can match up with some of the nation's top teams.

``Any time you can take two games from the second-ranked team in the
nation, it picks you up. That will carry us into this weekend,''
McHugh said.

Last weekend, the Gophers' overtime loss to Lake Superior State was
cause for disappointment. Despite the Lakers' high ranking, it was a
game Minnesota could have won. But Sunday, against another quality
team, they won an overtime game they very easily could have lost.

``We've had a few heartbreakers this year,'' forward Joe Dziedzic
said. ``And we let Wisconsin tie it up late in the game. But Dave
(Larson) came through with a big goal for us.''

Positive spin

The 0-5-1 start may have been as much a product of the opponents'
talent as it was of the Gophers' shortcomings. Consider that the
teams who combined to put the Gophers in that hole -- Northern
Michigan, St. Cloud State and Colorado College -- now hold the top
three spots in the conference.

Furthermore, the five losses all came on the road, and none of those
opponents has lost a game in its home arena this year.

The first place Wildcats are a perfect 9-0 at Lakeview Arena. St.
Cloud is 8-0-1 at the National Hockey Center. And Colorado College is
8-0-2 at home in its final season at Broadmoor World Arena.

And the Gophers are 6-1-2 at home in their first season at Mariucci
Arena, 5-0-2 in conference games.

Bonin honored

Forward Brian Bonin was named WCHA offensive player of the week for
the second time this season.

The sophomore had a goal and four assists in the weekend sweep, and
he collaborated on the game-winning goals in both games. Bonin also
won the award after a three-goal weekend at Alaska-Anchorage in
December.

Injuries

Defenseman Chris McAlpine is listed as probable for this weekend's
series with Michigan Tech. McAlpine suffered a deep thigh bruise in
the second period Saturday and did not play Sunday.

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
[log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!