From:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 1994 11:41:49 EST
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Phone: (502)852-5752; Fax: (502)852-6222

   Musings on the relative skill differential between divisions:

In part this is prompted by wondering where the best kids in our local youth
hockey program are capable of playing. Although score comparisons are always
suspect, it appears UMass scores may provide some clues. As a new program,
with greater than 95% freshmen, they are playing primarily Div II and III
opponents and generally dusting them about 3-4 goals per goal. I believe they
also beat Penn State, one of the best club hockey teams 7-2. In games with the
few Div I teams they have played, the exact opposite has occurred. Does anyone
have any other info on whether or not this relative skill differential is
real? It suggests that it would be very difficult to upgrade from II or III to
Div I and I believe Alabama-Birmingham, Union and perhaps Merrimack have found
this to be true. Are there any clear examples of upgrading successfully?

Subliminal message: U of L needs an ice skating rink for its
future hockey team more than it needs a new football stadium.