From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 1994 09:27:10 -0500
This Saturday

UMD 0 0 0 - 0
MTU 2 1 0 - 3

Bob gave a good game summary. There ought to be an award for a player
who has the most effect on a game but doesn't skate in the game. If
there was such an award, Jamie Ram clearly deserves it. I was impressed by
the leadership and cheer leading that Ram gave to the team from the
bench while his Freshman backup was in the crease.

At times, MTU shows the talent to beat any team in the nation. I can't
figure out why it only comes out sporadically. It was there Saturday night.
Forget Friday night: the same team did not play. My guess is that Coach
Mancini has two teams but only uses one set of uniforms. This was our
second shutout of the year (the first against Wisconsin). The Huskies
also played in new uniforms Friday and Saturday night. This is the
fourth set of uniforms worn by the Huskies this year.

Jay Storm, a walk on cousin to Jim Storm now playing with the Whalers,
played his first game in an MTU uniform, Saturday night. He will be
a regular on the team. His outting almost resulted in a score and his
play was superb for a first game. (He also got a chance to get roughed and
to do some roughing of his own which resulted in a 2 minute minor.)

Coach Mancini despite being down players intentionally did not dress
three who have been performing other than expected. This cut his bench
to 17 players but the effect seemed to be positive. I was worried that
the 3rd period would prove to be too long; however, despite increased
pressure by UMD, the Huskies stayed right with them.

Fr. Goalie Luciano Caravaggio, (WHAT A NAME FOR A GOALIE) who got his
first win and shutout at MTU, looked very good although he gave up some
very dangerous rebounds. We've got ourselves another fine goalie for the
future.

Woog and them "little gophers" (Woog's words) in Minnesota are the next
intended victims of the Huskies. In the Hall of Fame Game at the Marinucci,
MTU's sporadic team showed up to start UMinn on its early season losing
streak. However, Minn is a much different team now. It will be interesting
to find out which team plays against Minn. I heard Woog speak last night
on the Bob Mancini Show: He is quite a character if one gives him the
opportunity. I am impressed with his attitude towards the game of hockey
and Minnestoa hockey in particular. He is a good follow-on to tradition
of Marinucci in Minnesota and is a believer in US College Hockey being
based upon giving junior US players a chance to play in grade school and
high school.

Enough disjointed ramblings for now.

Walt Olson
MTU